XP activation, very weird story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
OK, I have to try and keep this short, it's long story.

A while ago I bought XP on ebay for my first custom built PC. Turns out it was an OEM version, but still shrink wrapped and all. So of course, activation didn't work, called up MS, eventually got some kind of key and it worked. A few months later my HDD was screwing up, so I reformatted, ended up doing the same thing, called MS, etc.

Now, my HDD was screwing up again last week, and I knew I needed to get an RMA. So, I downloaded a tool to detect my XP product key, and it turned out to be the exact same key as my family Compaq computer.....which was also a key that the MS lady gave me on the phone.......I don't get how.

Soo, my new HDD is now in, and I just got off the phone w/ MS. This time, the guy basically told me sorry, you have to buy a 'real' version since its OEM. I got mad of course, telling him it's not like I pirated the version and plus 2 other MS people were nice and helped me out.

So then, I went to the activation screen, and clicked "Change product key" and did like the computer woman told me after I called up AGAIN. I put in the OEM key, no luck. Then, I put in the key that the MS person told me way back (the one that matches my Compaq) and voila! It activated.

Now what in the world is going on?? Can I get in trouble somehow for something? I am just so confused and I want an explanation.

I hope this made sense to somebody, cause it certainly doesn't make sense to me.

Technically those popups saying you may be a victem of unofficial MS products may pop up if you download their newest security patches but you have done nothing wrong.

Weird story -- don't worry about it. If they contact you for whatever reason they feel necessary, then you can read off what you wrote on the first post.

get drive image 7 or norton ghost 10 and back your system up to another hdd or to dvd. now if your system crashes, restore it to it's working condition. you won't need to activate it

Quintox said:
OK, I have to try and keep this short, it's long story.

A while ago I bought XP on ebay for my first custom built PC. Turns out it was an OEM version, but still shrink wrapped and all. So of course, activation didn't work, called up MS, eventually got some kind of key and it worked. A few months later my HDD was screwing up, so I reformatted, ended up doing the same thing, called MS, etc.

Now, my HDD was screwing up again last week, and I knew I needed to get an RMA. So, I downloaded a tool to detect my XP product key, and it turned out to be the exact same key as my family Compaq computer.....which was also a key that the MS lady gave me on the phone.......I don't get how.

Soo, my new HDD is now in, and I just got off the phone w/ MS. This time, the guy basically told me sorry, you have to buy a 'real' version since its OEM. I got mad of course, telling him it's not like I pirated the version and plus 2 other MS people were nice and helped me out.

So then, I went to the activation screen, and clicked "Change product key" and did like the computer woman told me after I called up AGAIN. I put in the OEM key, no luck. Then, I put in the key that the MS person told me way back (the one that matches my Compaq) and voila! It activated.

Now what in the world is going on?? Can I get in trouble somehow for something? I am just so confused and I want an explanation.

I hope this made sense to somebody, cause it certainly doesn't make sense to me.

what tool did you use?

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

...Does the first five characters of the Product Key start with:

MVF4D

?

Are you referring to this:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/oempreac.mspx

This time, the guy basically told me sorry, you have to buy a 'real' version since its OEM.
Anyway, I thought that Microsoft's EULA states that in the OEM license is tied to the motherboard. So for the guy to tell you that you have to purchase the real version is ridiculous. I would have asked to speak with a manager, or just hang up and dial again to see if you could get another person to help you.

and it turned out to be the exact same key as my family Compaq computer
Is it the same as what the program is telling you, or is it the same as what is on the sticker. If it is the same as what is on the sticker then there could be a problem. That license key should only be used for one computer, however if Microsoft told you to use it then just tell them that and see what happens; You still own that other license.
If it is the same as what the program is telling you, then it is most likely one of their volume keys that manufacturers use to install windows on many all of their pcs. Most PC companies will use the same volume key on all of their computers that they build (generally that is what is on the restore discs as well). This allows them to mass produce the restore discs, and quickly install Windows and the other crap that they put on the computer. However I am not sure if these activate or not.

Re: Re: Re:

mestizo122 said:

If it is the same as what the program is telling you, then it is most likely one of their volume keys that manufacturers use to install windows on many all of their pcs. Most PC companies will use the same volume key on all of their computers that they build (generally that is what is on the restore discs as well). This allows them to mass produce the restore discs, and quickly install Windows and the other crap that they put on the computer. However I am not sure if these activate or not.

you hit it on the nose

Tyler1989 said:
Technically those popups saying you may be a victem of unofficial MS products may pop up if you download their newest security patches but you have done nothing wrong.

That is what happened to me. I had it popping up for nearly a week and it went away yesterday, and on the site it said I had a genuine copy. Very strange. How much do you think I could sue for loss of earnings having to wait 5 seconds at every boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom