IHS Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awwww man, serious? Did you put electrical tape over the transistors and crap? I should have taken a picture of it like that so people could see as well because I only talked about it a little in my post.

You basically lay down strips of electrical tape over the transistors on the CPU to the point where only the core is exposed in the middle. This will act somewhat of a crush pad, but also protect those things from shorting off the block.

I'd pull it out, put that tape over it if you didn't do it in the first place, then put it back in the machine and prey for the best.

Need a new mod, or if anything put on the IHS I guess =/ I would seriously just super glue that crap on and RMA it if it comes down to it though.

Hope it works out for you

Can't RMA, I have had this chip for a very long time and got it from tiger, and yes I did use electrical tape, when I was getting the heatsink to fit I left the old AS5 layer on there to see if it would touch the transistors and it does, so I cleaned it up put a thin layer onto the die and it worked, but I just took the CPU out and found burn marks around the die??? Meh, guess I will be on socket A for a long *** time again... 1000Mhz rofl

dang it, that's right. I completely forgot you just said that you had it for 4 years or something like that =/

jeez, burn marks......can you get a pic? I mean.....if it's burn marks obviously it's gone.....but you might as well get some pics.

Don't know how that woulda happened though. Unless you left some of the paste somewhere you didn't see. I used a really thin layer and all has been working good, but I'm also on the bolt through so that may have had something to do with it.

No pictures till I get a new processor, the system im on is windows 98 with a 1000mhz amd duron or something like that and 32mb of shared ram, the cameras drivers wont work on 98... Done tried.

well, "RGELLIS" had an old K6-2 lying about too, so I though too "heck" with this, got me a razor, and had a go.

small0al.jpg

worked out fine, was much easier after I wrapped the end of the razor i was holding with a peice of paper.

RGELLIS's mousemat now has some scratches in it. :( sorry mate!

Hmm, but joshd as you can tell he has munchied the edge of the chip where he attempted to remove it with a swiss army knife, i doubt we will ever see it work again, as I licked the pins, and bent them, and it has been dropped on the floor numerous times, oh well im sure I will survive without 350MHz , thats what I overclock by!

RGELLIS said:
he has munchied the edge of the chip where he attempted to remove it with a swiss army knife

bah, well that didnt cause any damage. it has only snapped the corner off, no pics showing or anything. i did that by trying to pry it off, but no, cutting seems to be the only way.

Trifid said:
Nice. I read quite a few horror stories with removing the IHS, so I will not be trying it - but I love it when people say "I took a chunk of the die and it still works!" stories.
Yeah, except when I took a chunk of the die, it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom