Power Supply and 9800 SE Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JND

Solid State Member
Howdy all, I am fairly novice computer user but through a lot of help, I've been learning quite a bit. I have a computer with the following:

Windows XP
P4 1300
512 RAM
Nvidia GeForce 2 Mx/Mx400
250 Watt Power Supply

What I would like to do is upgrade my video card to 9800 SE for what I think will be drastically better graphics for gaming. (NFSU, Star Wars KOTOR, and Unreal Tournament are a few I'm playing now.)

Will I need a better power supply in order to properly run the 9800SE card? I think I might, but I'm not sure.

Also if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do to help gaming preformance, I'd love to know what I should do.

Nate

The minimum for the 9800 Pro is 300 Watt... you should be okay...its a toss-up, really depends on if you have the money

Blind, well if I need to get a new power supply, then I'd do that first and hold off getting the video card another month or so.

What kind of problems would I have if I didn't have enough power?

Mabe overheating or your system randomly shutting down. In some situations your computer might not even start. I am pretty sure you are safe though becuase if it has an agp slot then the people probalbly planned using that much power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom