Upgrading Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knalatos

Solid State Member
Until recently, I realized that my video card was kinda bleh. It's a GeForce 5500 MX overclocked 256mb. Now that I have a job, I thought to myself "hey, i can get a new video card :D" when I was looking through the video cards, basically all of em require a 300-400w power supply. Mine's 250w. According to people at best buy, My HP Pavilion a520n has a certain sized powersupply that cant be replaced. Could anyone give me a suggestion on what I could do? Thanks.

Yeah, I think they're right that your computer has a nonstandard PSU. Replacing it would be difficult (because it would take you forever to find that part) and expensive, since it's a specialized part.

Right off the top of my head I see you have two options:
1. Scrap everything you can out of your current machine, and build a new one.
2. Actually try to find that powersupply online, but good luck with that if you do try.

Build a new one, you mean like getting a new case and PSU, and then throw everything into the case? Would that work?

since no ones responding i assume i can go buy any case and all my stuff will go in right. >.>

It is a standard atx psu, or big deal if you have to drill a hole. But I am 100% sure the motherboard takes a standard atx powersupply 20 pin connector. So A normal atx psu WOULD WORK! Never trust the teenagers at best buy.

nitestick said:
functionally it is a standard ATX psu, i know i've worked with the pavilion's before but it is a non standard size and shape

Okay, so if I go out any buy any tower, probably a funky LED one :p, maybe bundled with a 400w power supply.. would i have to worry about my motherboard fitting properly or compatability or anything? x.x And do you know if the motherboard i use is standard ATX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom