Need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbrash

Beta member
I am trying to find out if upgrading my system is plausible. I play a lot of MMOs and need to increase my performance. Here are my specs:

I have a Tyan Tiger 133 S1834 Mobo with dual P3 800mhz cpus
300W power supply HP-300SN
1 GB of 100/133 SDram
ATI 9200SE video card
Sound Blaster Live sound

I recently tried to install an ATI X1300 and 9550 video cards but neither would work with my system. I believe it was from AGP compliance on the Mobo.

Is upgrading my PC plausible? or am I looking at a junker? I don't have much of a budget at all for buying a new one as I am a stay at home dad with a one income family. Any suggestions (or used pcs) would be greatly appreciated, lol. Thanks

Upgrading that thing won't help. You will need to sell it and get a new system. Try getting a summer job or something, and save up $500-600 for a PC.

For gaming, i recommend a new System. Even the AMD Sempron/Intel Celeron are just basic processors with low cache, but they have much higher MHZ, and the processors are pretty cheap, costing around $50-$100.

You could upgrade that, you would notice a large difference upgrading the PSU. 300W is just the minimum nowadays, for gaming, get at least 450W.

If you're on a budget, you could always buy an older Dell system for around $200-$250, and use your parts for that newer system.

rsbrash :

If both the X1300 and Radeon 9550 don't work on your system, chances are that you have only PCI slots on your motherboard, seeing that you have a Radeon 9200SE. If you want to increase gaming performance, the best thing you could do is to save up around 600-700$ then you can get yourself a pretty decent pc. Just make sure you don't upgrade your current pc, because you won't make a big difference ( even the latest PCI card is considered non-gamer friendly) . It's also a waste of money, now you can just play on lower settings and wait till you have enough money. I know the pain man, my primary gaming card is a 9550. I have to play even warcraft 3 on 1024x768.

Good luck and enjoy your stay in TF.

-bonehelm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom