Need Help Buying Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demortix

Baseband Member
Okay, first i guess ill tell you some of my computer information.

I have a Compaq Preserio Sr1803WM(i know)
XP Home
Intel Celeron 3.20GHz
1.5 GB Ram (just upgraded from 512)
ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series motherboard with integrated video.
oh,and i have an old monitor

Im looking to buy a video card. i can spend around 500 saving up, but no more than 600. If i can get what i need for less, awsome. As far as what i need, well, im a gamer. im ending up playing some high end games like Oblivion and others that require some hefty graphics.

My question is what should i get? iv heard endless dibeates between Geforce and ATI Radeon. Iv been leaning to a Geforce, though i need to know what my computer can handle. No point in getting a 500$ video card if im only getting 200$ out of it.

I didnt think about power. I think i have 300WATT. i dont know how to check what a video card needs

Thanks,

P.S. ill have the money in two too four weeks.

If you have up to $600 then surely thats enough to get a 7900GT or X1900XT. I would go for the X1900XT as its better out the 2. If they are too expensive the X1800XT or 7800GT. But instead of doing that i would buy a 7600GT or sumthing around that price then when DX10 comes out get a DX10 card.
and yeah you'll need a new psu.

a 300w power supply will not be enough for a high end graphics card, perhaps get an antec 500w power supply (stick with reputable brands)

also what size is your monitor - i deally you want 17" - 19"+

i would recommend a 7600gt or a 7900gt depending what your budget is.

You are going to need a new PSU.

Cheapest being a Fortron 450w (dual 18A 12V)

Even with that you can afford a 7900GTX or X1900XTX.

Wait another week and you can get a 7950GX2 which will have two 7900GTX cores on one board for $600.

Yeah, iv been looking at the 7900GT. maybe i should have just made my own system huh? im totaly redoing the one i have.
I guess my question now is what do i need to know to buy more power?

im not sure on my monitor. im guessing around 15", not great, but it works.

would i need to worry about it working? volts or size or anything? it would seem to me it would be smart to make most of it compatable, but with computers these days, who knows.

Nah not really 480W will be enough. If you like you can go higher but remember only go with known brands.

As long as your case supports ATX psu it will be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom