Second monitor and gaming headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hey all,

I haven't been on here in what seems forever. I used this forum a TON building my gaming rig and haven't really been back since.

Well I am really getting into graphic design as well as my main love (gaming) and am used to having a second monitor at work so I want to get one at home.

My current rig is in my sig

I am wanting a low price 19" lcd that will be basically the same height as my current monitor with the best quality that I can get for low cost.

Please post any links you think I would be interested in, I would say max price for monitor of $300.

I was looking at:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=232504

Now my second question is how good of a vid card do I need to run it? I think I have an old gforce sitting around somewhere, I am not sure what speed i'll have to check tonight. I won't be using the second monitor for gaming, it will be mainly for holding photoshop and illustrator toolbars. How good of a vid card do I need?

And lastly my edimensional force feedback gaming headset quit working on me (i think my stupid x-wife broke it and won't tell me) and I need a new gaming headset with mic. I was looking at getting the Sennheiser PC160 Pro-Gaming Stereo Multimedia Headset:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=286031

Again I want the best quality I can get for gaming and music with a low pricetag less than $100. (I have just my onboard soundcard taht game with my DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D mobo)

Please all suggestions links appreciated! Thanks.

Ok new question.... and I feel like a nub moron for asking it.

Do I need a second video card for my second monitor that I am getting? I have a 7800GTX vid card that has 2 plugs and I heard you can run ur second monitor off of the 1 card.

However I don't want to lose performance on my main monitor, should I use a crappy 2nd vid card for the 2nd monitor or should I run em both off of my good one and won't lose much if any performance? Thanx.

Oh and thanx for the links 003, I was wondering if I get the ones you suggested if I would need to get an amp. How much performance increase over the seinhauser 160 would I get? Many thanx.:)

EDIT: Please any input on the monitor? I am thinking of placing my order tonight or tomorrow. Pls post links to newegg or tigerdirect or zipzoomfly if you have anything u think is better.

If your video card has two DVI plugs then you only need one video card. No, you don't need an amp with those headphones, they are only 40ohms. Of course it never hurts, but it would not bring a big improvement, unless you have a REALLY weak source (cheap handheld mp3 player).

The VP930b has a higher-grade panel and is a very very good all around monitor. But if the only use will be gaming, the VP920 may be a better choice, though the 930 still would be good. As for the headphones, if you need more opinions, go to head-fi.org, but you will see that they are basicly the same :)

Ok I am leaning towards the VP930b but am still undecided on the headset choice.

I am looking at:

Seinhauser 160

Steel Series Steel Sound 5H-USB professional gaming headphones

and 003's suggestion of the Audio-Technica ATH-A500

These will be mainly for gaming but will also listen to music and will also definately use for in-game voice and vent. Any thoughts on which are better and why for someone who knows very very little about good headphones?

You can forget those 5h-usb headphones for three reasons. One, they are USB, meaning they have a built in sound card, so if you were ever to get a better gaming card, such as an audigy2 or an x-fi, the headphones would not work with it. Two, you could only use it on your computer, because it is USB. I am not sure on their quality, because I have never used them, but I have never heard of that brand, which usually isn't a good sign, and to make it worse, they advertise it with things like "steel sound", and "professional gaming" to try and sucker people into buying them.

There is no standard as to what headphones professional gamers use.

The 160 is probably decent, but for gaming (and music), the A500 will trump both of those headphones, because of it's expansive soundstage (you can easily tell what direction sounds are coming from), and the fact that it is closed, so outside sounds will not distract you. If you want sennheiser headphones, the HD555 (same price as A500) would be very good, but the A500 still a little better, but the 555 would probably be a little better in music. If you could stretch your budget a little, the beyerdynamic DT770/80 would be even better yet for gaming.

Well I placed my orders today,

My new monitor: $339.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365

My new Headset: $106.50
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html

My new mic that will clip onto the cord of the new headset: $9.67
http://www.xoxide.com/zmmic1.html

Now I will be big pimpin with my custom computer that I put together myself featuring my AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego CPU OCed to 2.7Ghz with BigTyphoon heatsink, 7800GTX OCed to 520/1400, and 2 Gigs of G.Skill Performance Ram OCed to DDR 430. Now it will be displayed on two 19" LCD monitors, the first being a ViewSonic VP191b and the second a ViewSonic VP930b.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom