blue screens and memory tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcmoral

Solid State Member
My computer regularly blue-screens when playing The Sims 2 (other games sometimes CTD but rarely ever blue-screen) 0x8E, 0x50, 0xD1 STOP errors. So aside from trying different video drivers I decided to test the memory.

When I first ran memtest86+ (v1.65) I got two errors each in tests 3 and 5 after six passes. Both errors in test 3 were in the same area of memory as were both errors in test 5. I haven't changed anything but now I can't seem to reproduce the errors!

I then ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic. There were no errors in the standard tests but there were two on the extended test. First error in the MATS+ test with cache disabled. Second on the Stride6 test also with cache disabled. Both errors give the same address: 0ca7a20. Unlike the memtest86+ result these errors come up every pass and every time I do the test.

I have an NVIDIA Geforce FX5200. I just installed the 66.93 driver (previously had the latest 8x.xx driver) which I'd been told was the best for my card. The same Windows Memory errors still appear in the same address. By 'video memory' do you mean the memory that is on the card itself or is it memory that is assigned to the card? This card is less than a month old. If the blue screens persist should I return it?

My system has two sticks of 256MB PC2100 RAM on an ASUS A7S333 motherboard. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

run 3DMark on a loop and see if that crashes the pc. it is not conclusive but i would say if you can reproduce the crash under high video strain you could guess its the video card. probably memory though. try one stick at a time (if you have more than one) and try some other memory if possible to see if you can reproduce the crash

Is it the same if I download and run the 3DMark 2001 SE build 330? The later versions are too big for my dialup connection and recommend at least a 2GHz processor (mine is an Athlon XP1900 1.6Ghz). I'll report back with the reuslt of switching the memory sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom