Win Xp Pro Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thousandviolins

Solid State Member
Alrighty, I've been having some serious issues with my brand new system. I just recently purchased the following:

AMD Athlon XP-2400 2.0GHz 256K 266MHz
ASUS A7V8X-X Socket A Mboard (D4ALA133)
512Mb PC2100 - 266MHz DDR Memory

When I first started loading XP, I would get the stop error 0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. However I could get XP to load (very slowly) after disabling the chache. I replaced the brand new stick of RAM with another brand new stick of RAM. Things appeared to be going fine and dandy. Then after about 10 minutes of the computer being fully functional, it would just randomly shut down. I could not get it to restart until after about 10 minutes. Then I changed the CAS to 3.0. Once again, things appear to work ok. However when I try to install some programs, the computer freezes/shuts down and then gives me the dreaded disk system boot error, enter system disk and press enter. It also will not register any of my drives. Once again I can get everything to reboot after a period of leaving the machine off. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated

Hi

That could be a few things but with your system shutting down and then your able to boot it back up after some time sounds like a heat issue.take off your prossesor chip and see if it has thermal past on it or if it is seated right. If you need past use artic silver.Make sure and ground yourself before messing inside commputer. Also try to setup your bios to default.Thats all I can think of off hand Ill think on it some more and get back with you.

I checked the heat issue cause that's one of the first things I thought about with the random shut offs. Everything seemed to be fine.

did you do a new install? or take the Hard drive and put it on this mother board?

try this link it may pertain:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316401&Product=winxp

more about it from the MS site with this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103&Product=winxp

If you receive one of the error messages that are listed in this article while you are installing Windows XP, update your computer's BIOS, obtain Windows XP drivers for your hard disk controller from the manufacturer of your computer, system board, or hard disk controller, or do both. For information about updating your computer's BIOS or obtaining Windows XP drivers, contact your computer manufacturer.

let me know if that helped or pointed you in a good direction.

Ok, I tried the formatting the hard drive and reinstalling after I installed the new RAM. Most of the time what I am dealing with now is the random shut offs and twice I got the stop error Stop 0x0000007A or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (I believe---something do with KERNEL)--any suggestions?

I am currently not able to update the BIOS because my floppy drive isn't working--yet another one of the many things to add to my list of computer issues.

seema as though eveything is pointing to the bios needing to be updated. quotehttp://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_fvlq.asp

The Stop 0x7A message indicates that a page of kernel data was not found in the paging (virtual memory) file and could not be read into memory. This might be due to incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

what kind of hard drive do you have, there may be some compatability issues between the Motherboard and the Hard drive...

Gee a bad floppy drive too... Is this an old box that you just are replaing the Mother board, the memory and processor?

"steal" one of those from work, i am sure you have a floppy drive laying around.. Wheni say Steal i mean you are going to borrow it and then once yuo get the bios flashed i am sure you would return it... :) Of course you can go to a local computer store and buy one for about $5....

Yep, I was trying to load the motherboard CD to see if I could get a driver and the computer froze and gave me the BSOD again with the KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.

I actually just replaced the hard drive (40 GB, Seagate). My old hard drive (20 GB Maxor) I can get registered in the BIOS but it cannot be accessed, meaning I can't get to all the original files--but I will worry about that later.

Yeah, I know floppy drives aren't that much. When I was moving the drive from my old computer to the new one, one of the pins broke off and now the BIOS won't register the drive---BLASTED! :mad:

I will see if I can persuade someone to let me borrow their floppy drive until I can go out and get another one (if I have to go out and buy another computer part......). Should the BIOS need updating even though it is a brand new motherboard?

not to say that you should or should not have to... it would stand to reason that you shouldn't... confused?

have you gone to the Motherboards' website and searched for help? maybe there are known issues that they have a patch for.

http://www.asus.com/support/support.aspx

try in there and see if you find anything....

take alook at this from the ASUS web site i found:

"System sometimes may reboot when using AGP 4X card on A7V8X-X. Once I change to another AGP 8X graphic card, the problem is gone. My BIOS is 1006. How can I fix it?

We found the problem with some specific AGP 4X graphic cards. Please download and update BIOS to 1007 or later to solve this problem.
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7V8X-X&Type=Latest "

Yeah, I saw those--but since I don't have a working floppy drive at the moment, there is no use in me downloading them. I was hoping it was something else that I could fix right now since I haven't been able to go out and get a new floppy drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom