IHS Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
nah, just be careful and IF something does happen, make sure you removed it cleanly and just super glue that beotch back on there and RMA it. Can't hurt to try and RMA it at the very least

don't think it'd be worth it to remove the IHS with a stock heatsink, I think it would make contact as when you snap those clips down there is a fair bit of pressure put on the chip I think so I think it would make contact with the core...although I don't think it would make very good contact which is exactly what you're trying to prevent when you remove the IHS in the first place

the more and more I think about it it doesn't seem that hard, you're really just cutting through a very thin piece of silicon

Yeah Im worrying about crushing the core as well:confused:

I have absolutley no problem taking the IHS off, im just wondering if the 9500 will be too heavy or if I tighten it too lose and its not making contact:umm:

Il think about this.

REMEMBER: Only use heatsinks that use the bolt through style. Not the retention clips.

That 80lbs or whatever is when the IHS is on it, not the core by itself. I don't know how much the cores can handle, but the way I see it is, there's no reason to make the cores weaker just because they have an IHS on it. I'm sure the cores are just as strong if not stronger, but certainly not weaker, than the exposed cores of the K7 days.

What do you mean by bolt style?

Retention as say the A64 Freezer PRO or the Stock AMD fan with the OEM stlye clip,

and Bolt say as the current 9500?

I'm almost positive that bolt through refers to a heatsink that is screwed into the plastic thing in the back of the socket that holds the retention system on the front of the board as that is how waterblocks are installed

Gaara - YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! CONGRATULATIONS!!

What he said, there are two bolts that go through the botherboard and screw into the back plate. The heatsink/waterblock then slides on the bolts and is held in place with springs that you put over the bolt ontop of the block, then put a screw and compress the spring down.

Only for those, not with retention which is what a stock heatsink is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom