windows font stuck at 999

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt09

Solid State Member
Hello,

Yesterday one of my friends changed the windows active title bar font to size 999. I can see no way of turning this bakc without a format or recovery, as even in safe mode all windows fill the whole screen with just the title bar so I cant even access anything to be able to change anything. The only way i could think of was, as the computer is networked with full permissions set on all windows folders, I could access the modified configuration files using another computer, change this and then reboot. I dont know if this is posible though or which config files set attributes for font sizes.

Any help would be much appreciated as the computer is pretty useless at the moment.

Thanks.

Right Click on your desktop. Then Click on properties. Go to Appearance. Click on the Advance Tab. There should be the option to choose the Active Title Bar. From there you can reset the Font size back down to the size of your choice.

I can't because the title bar fills the screen. Therefore I am unable to navigate through menus etc. Is there any other way of being able to revert to a defalt setting or something?

When Windows load after the BIOS screen adn BEFORE the Windows loading screen. (The one with the bar across teh bottom) Hit F8. From there select last know good boot config and see if that helps. If not then your only option would be a repair install. Unless you can somehow move the window to be able to navigate to the menu options.

the last good known config option didnt work and I dont really want to have to do a recovery, is there another way. I have full access to all the windows files as they are all shared with full permission across the LAN. What about copying some xp config files from a normal computer and replacing them with ones on the problem one. Although I first need to know which config file controls font sizes for windows, etc

matt09 said:
I can't because the title bar fills the screen. Therefore I am unable to navigate through menus etc. Is there any other way of being able to revert to a defalt setting or something?

Since everythings so big, can't you "scroll" or "move" the screen around?

If the taskbar is showing, try pulling down the taskbar so you can see a little bit of the desktop that your taskbar was eating up. Then you could do what it said in Post #2.

Although it may sound easy that is very difficult to do. Because the screen is so big it has weird behavious such as that it will not drag bigger or smaller and it is rarely possible to be able to move it around the screen. Does anyone know the windows config file for window box attributes such as font style, size etc then i could simple copy and replace this with a default one.

problem solved! i found the shortcut 'desk.cpl' that linked straight to one of the smaller windows which I was able to drag down eventually and change the font, dragging control panel was impossible.

Thanks for all the help.

if it comes up again, you can always try changing your screen resolution to something unsupported for a few seconds :p... something like 1280x1024... so that 999pxl would fill just most of the screen (i assume you have it on 800x600)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom