Hard Drive Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simo1234

Beta member
Hey guys I just upgraded my comp and formatted my c drive for a fresh version of xp on it. When i opened windows for he first time i tried to get some files from my other hard drive. When i opened the hard drive i can see all the folders but i cant open the my documents folder its just says access denied. its weird casue i can open all the other folders and look at pictures etc.. but i cant open that folder. i right clicked on it and it says there nothing in there. Can anyone help me open that folder?

Right click>properties. Go to the permissions tab and add your current username and set it to full access. Something like this.

hmmm i cant seem to find the permissions tab. Could it be that i changed where windows defaulted the my documents folder on my last pc and that i made the folder private?

Re:

Hello,

You mean you've slaved (hooked up) your second hard drive into your current machine, so you can retreive some files?

The new OS in the new machine needs to take ownership of the files and folders on the drive.

In order to gain all read and write permissions for the new drive, you need to take ownership of the new hard drive using the Windows XP Access Control settings in Security properties of the new drive. To do this you need to boot into Safe Mode.

It's relatively easy if you follow instructions properly. Here are some guides to help you:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

You must be logged into the Windows XP Administrator's account in order to modify access rights to files and folders. If you have Windows XP Home, this means you will need to boot into Safe Mode to because the Administrator's account isn't accessible outside of Safe Mode.

Im guessing you have XP Home edition because Pro comes with the security tabs. There is a simple file that you can download which will enable the security tabs so you can get access to those files.
You can download it from here:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/tools/SCM
Right click the SCESP4I.EXE file and download to your desktop (or wherever)
after the installation is done reboot. it is recommended u create a restore point before doing any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom