Fried my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't work.

Got the new mobo/gfx card, hooked it all up, and tried to turn it on. Everything seemed to come on ok, but the monitor would show "Off mode in 5 seconds" and then go back to the mode where the light it orange, like theres no display attached. I tried the 7900GT in the other PCI-E slot, same thing. I'm gonna RMA the card tomorrow, I assume it was a DOA, or else I did something wrong and am about to waste a week of my time :(

I also got the inkling sensation that maybe my PSU is underpowered. The PSU in it now is a "L&C (never heard of it) 450W", which my friend says is enough for everything in my box. Would it not give a signal if the video card wasn't getting enough power?

Also, if you know specifics about the A8N-SLI board and an eVGA 7900GT video card, I have a 4-pin thingy from the power supply going to the EZ_PLUG slot on th mobo, and then goes on to plug into the convertor that came with the cord, since my power supply doesn't have the type of extension that can plug directly into the card.

Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

No, I don't have *any* video at all on that machine. First boot with all my new stuff. I assume since the mobo was built for SLI and X2 processors, I'd be fine.

The fan on the video card comes on, but I get no video to my monitor. That's a sign of a DOA card, right? Fans working but no video?

*ALSO*, maybe one of you guys more experienced could recommend me a 500-550W power supply to replace my current 450W, I got to looking at the side of the 7900GT box and it said 450 as minimum for one card, and 500 was minimum for two of them in SLI. While I only have one, I don't think it could hurt to try a new PSU first. Maybe one with an actual cord that fits into my video card so I don't need a convertor. Or maybe this won't have any effect at all?

Yeah that's either a DOA card or you don't have enough amps going to the card from the psu, see what your output on the +12v rail is if it's less then 14 that might be your problem if you have a cheap PSU.

Here's a PSU you can try that would definitley be powerful enough and not fry anything in you system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932

Also you should flash your BIOS just in case, because some people have had to update the BIOS for dual core support out of the box cause they got an old shipment of boards.

Mentali$T said:
shouldnt the +12v rail be near 12v lol? mine is always above 12v but only just.

You're thinking volts, I'm talking about the amps going through the rail.

click on the link above and look at the output it says "+12V1@19A" I'm talking about the "19A"

The sticker on my PSU says "18A" under "+12V" and "1A" under "-12V". I dunno what that means.

I think I'm gonna also go ahead and buy that nice looking Antec PSU linked by kaname.

Anyone? Could my PSU be a factor as well, or should I wait until I get a replacement video card to see if I have to purchase a PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom