Remote Desktop & Hamachi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee05162004

Baseband Member
Ok I finally got the Remote Desktop feature to work between my laptop and desktop. I'm also using Hamachi and I've got a couple questions. First with Hamachi, I have set up the connections between the two computer but my laptop can't view my desktop files and all the connection settings match. Do you think that because I'm on a router and they use the same port that this is causing the problem?
Also in Remote Desktop I have got it to work between two networked computers but I want to know if I can get it to work between my pc and another computer somewhere else. I'm sure it can be done but what information would I need on the other computer? I think I would need my external ip address and also the port that it would use to access my desktop, is that correct? Or if I can get my laptop to recognize my desktop in Hamachi can I use the ip that it is given? Thanks for the help.

First for remote Desktop to work over the internet, you need to have a public IP, that is routable. You also need to have permissions to login once you get there. Then you also need to enable the program to work that way(allow use) as well as open any firewall rules for the ports it uses. That should allow it to work. Although, I would strictly advise against that. Something like VNC would be better as your not at such a high risk then.

I don't know anything about Hamachi, sorry...

Inaris said:
First for remote Desktop to work over the internet, you need to have a public IP, that is routable. You also need to have permissions to login once you get there. Then you also need to enable the program to work that way(allow use) as well as open any firewall rules for the ports it uses. That should allow it to work. Although, I would strictly advise against that. Something like VNC would be better as your not at such a high risk then.

I don't know anything about Hamachi, sorry...

I'm assuming that by public ip you mean the ip that is assigned to my modem is that correct? I've got the program set up to work on my network. I'm not sure what port the program uses but I have set up MAC address filtering. Hamachi is a vpn client.

I figured it was, but have never used it so I don't know anything about it. No, the machine needs to have an IP from the Modem that is public, not going through a router, unless you have public IPs on the router. if you are direct connected to the modem, then that IP is the one you use. If you are behind a router/Proxy/firewall or anythign that runs DHCP and it's not a purchsed IP range, then it won't work easily...

I fixed it with both programs.
First, with remote desktop I opened the port on my router and typed in my modems ip and the port and I got it to connect. Next I unintalled, restarted and reinstalled Hamachi on both machines. Then I typed my desktops ip given by Hamachi into the remoted desktop program on my laptop and it worked! This is good because I'll be able to use it when I go on my vacation to New Jersey next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom