Gaming Headphones... The Best Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

waytoosmall

In Runtime
I have read many posts on here about this topic and want to go ahead and make a post that anyone searching it can find to help out with their decisions. Based on what I read here and the debated issues, I spent a week on Head-Fi.org reading, posting and learning. I wanted to know what the best headphone setup for gaming was, and where I could purchase it etc.. After much research I finally made the purchases and all I can say is WOW.

To all those out there who have argued on here that Zalman 5.1 surround phones are fine, I am not trying to flame you. And I am not trying to claim anyone has to purchase this specific setup, but I cannot say that the cheap headphones are just as good. THEY ARE NOT. I am so blown away by the difference in sound that I find myself spending even more time gaming and enjoying it even more.

So the consensus on the phones is: Beyerdynamic DT 770/80. Make sure you get the 80ohm pair. I purchased mine at the local guitar center and got them to bring the price down but I have bought thousands of dollars of equipment from them I use in my band (www.myspace.com/sighlo) so they were nice. You should be able to get the pair for between $150-200. It was also recommended that I get an amp to power them. Nicer headphones tend to nead more power and an amp is supposed to bring out the low end on these specific phones. I ordered a very popular amp called a PA2v2 from a guy who custom builds them. They can be found at www.electric-avenues.com and ordered from e-mailing gary@electric-avenue.com . The amp does make a difference in the lows and I am happy I spent the extra $60. The base rumbles while all the highs and mids stay very clear.

So I hope this helps people searching this topic and really it is for those looking for Gaming Headphones. When I did I couldn't find any definitive answers. And of course people have preferences for other phones, but the majority came down to this and the Audio Techinca ATH 900's, but I saw a lot of complaints about the mids on these phones. Many people use those as well, just not as many as the DT770's. I have the Creative 6.1 surround that I have since retired becuase it does not compare. Now I am using the rig you see in the sig and the X-Fi card makes a big differnce for headphone setups becuase it has the 3D headphone settings which take advantage of a large soundstage. I did ask on the head-fi forums what card people were using with these phones and everyone basically replied that it doesn't matter, the DT770 rock with whatever card.

Any other advice people who use headphones have is welcomed and everyone have a great day.

Waytoosmall

So explain what its like to me. Right now I have some crappy onboard sound with my dell pentium 3 and a crappy $30 logitech headset. I plan on getting an ATH-900 and a x-fi sound card when I build my new rig.

How much diffent is it and what blows you away the most?

Where to begin.... First off, the clarity of everything is really great. You can hear everything all around you. When I played FEAR there were sounds that I had never hear before. And it definetely made the game creepier. The bass, assuming you get an amplifyer, is great. It rumbles your ears but does not hurt them if that makes any sense. With all the music production I have been a part of, I have learned to appreciate proper leveling, and many games have great scores and effects that the developers spent a lot of time on. I can now truely appreciate the precision with which they make sure you can hear footsteps and the fall of shell casings. I actually jumped the first time I fired a shotgun in FEAR after getting these. I am a big fan of the closed nature of the phones as well. They keep out EVERYTHING. You hear no distracting noises. I have been playing rise of legends the past few days, which I have really enjoyed, and the sound of the machines rolling around and the men firing muskets is just fantastic. In the middle of battle I like to shut my eyes and just take it in. There is so much going on that you really have to focus on to hear. There is alot more than this but the point is, sound is extremely important in enjoying everything many games has to offer and I have finally found that out.

Now I'm working on my home theater system. I have 5.1 but the neighbors would rather I not use it (used to be in a house, now in apartment again). So I am investing in the pioneer dir2000 wireless unit which comes with dolby headphone 5.1 . I have read a lot about how great this system sounds so I can't wait to watch all the Lord of The Rings again on my 65" bigscreen once that setup arrives..... :) Once you get into this audiophile thing it really sucks you in, WATCH OUT.

p.s. I am big fan of the Privateer games, just read in PC gamer about when Privateer 2 came out, and saw that the guy in it was Clive Owen, back before he was big.....hahahah wandered why he looked so familiar while I watched Derailed. LOL Games are a great place to further your acting career..... :)

HAHAHA.... I read alot about those as well, but they were not really recommended for gaming. I'm sure they would be great but are quite cost prohibitive even for the most hardcore of gamers. Now when it comes to audiophiles and their music, that would be considered middle of the road from what I learned. :)

Yea it's crazy. Don't they have some headphones for like $10,000? I could never see myself spending that on headphones.

seriously. thats way too much for headphones. im fine w/ my current setup of my pc connected to my stereo, and im not a "must hear everything crisp and clear nut." two hundred bucks could be well spent on a new video card or somthin

oh by the way

your bad impressed me!
sighlo FTW

you guys have talent.
the quality of the music is really good too

Thanks So much for checking out the band!! I have put many years into the music and it is paying off now. We are in talks with 2 labels and I'm finally beggining to enjoy the fruits of my labor :) . As for the price of the Cans, I can completely see where anyone would say that is too much. I put this post up for people like me whom have already dropped plenty on video cards(and will continue to do so as the new G8 series arrives), and want to take the experience to the next level. I really was thinking no one would respond and this thread would just go on down, but be easily found when someone searched for "Gaming Headphones" But thanks everyone for feedback and keep it comming......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom