asus a8n32-sli deluxe

antec 550w truepower 2.0 psu

bfg 7900gtx oc 512mb pci-e

aspire x-cruiser 17" case silver

pioneer dvr-111d 16x dvd+/-r

wd 250gb (7200/8mb) sata

2x dual channel 1024mb pc3200 ddr 400mhz ram

apacer 15-in-1 usb card reader

i am getting random freezes requiring cold restart, sometimes as bad as every 10 minutes sometimes as good as every eight hours. it will just freeze even just sitting idle( no screen saver)
i tried updating all drivers. i have installed windows xp home sp2 and windows xp pro sp2 with the same results.
it was difficult to install the os without freezing, i've even had it freeze in bios.
so i took the system back to the place of purchase, they ran memtest and said i had memory isssues right away so i purchased ocz platinum pc 3200 2 gigs.
same problems alittle less freezing.

hard drive was tested and was fine, same with the graphics card.
so they tell me it might be the mobo. i had installed a liquid cooled heat sink, getting the mounting plate off the back of the asus board was kind of a ***** due to double sided tape. i gently pried the plate of with a screw driver, wasn't too hard i used slow gentle pressure making sure i was nowhere near any circuits. but they said there was some scratches on the mobo so they could not return it to asus. so fair enough, my bad, i say replace the mobo. which they do.
and the system is still freezing.

they said they updated the bios. i told them the could do fresh install of windows, i did not care about my files on the hd.
they tried different heatsinks on the cpu thinking it was a thermal issues, all to no avail.
now they say its the chip itself?
i mentioned i read about different drivers being issues with that mobo such as the yukon lan device, i had already disabled nvidias onboard sound because windows wasn't recognizing it. or perhaps usb drivers?

can a dual core run if one core is damaged(crushed)?
is that a possibility?
if it was core damage would it not even post?
or is it a mere driver problem?

my hair is turning grey.....

almost forgot, the psu was tested and is fine too.and i monitored
my systems temps from the start. the cpu was always around 32c at idle with cool and quiet enabled.

yes they ran memtest on it thats why i switched from generic to ocz. i was planning on it in the future anyway.

well it looks like you've narrowed it down to the cpu so i guess you'll have to try a new one.

have you tried clearing the CMOS jumper switch on the mobo?

yes i reset the cmos too. ya the cpu is on its way back to amd as we speak. just wondering if it could be something else, or what the possible problem with the cpu could be.

did you check all the power sockets are in place e.g on the graphics card and the mobo. some of these power sockets are very well hidden!

yup got all the plugs the atx12v the 4 pin and the 24 pin power cords.
the mobo was currently hooked up out side the case, with only the ram, heatsink, hard drive, psu,and graphics card,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom