One of the fans in my pc is way too loud. How can i tell which one it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
Something in my pc is extremely loud. Even with the case open i can't tell what it is. Does anyone have any ideas to check what the problem is?

Unplug all case fans. Leave only CPU, PSU, and Video fan going. If noise stops, it is a case fan. If not, Remove video card. If noise stops, it is the video card fan. If not take the PSU out of it's tray, and place it on another surface, while still connected to devices. Should be easy then to distinct the noise between the remaining two fans.

Oh, and please remember to TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER while unplugging/plugging things back in. This should be a given anyway...

My graphics card seems to be running a few more degrees than normal on idle. I think i messed it up by overclocking when i saw the blue screen of death.

Try cleaning all accessible fans by removing the round sticker on the back, and then spraying canned air in there and then some WD-40 or something, just a little bit though. Wait till the surface dries, and put the sticker back or if it doesn't stick anymore, use duct tape.

easy now, you all are makin him tear everything apart

here's the way i test: i take a q-tip, for example, and i stick it a bit off center, still on the flat surface of the fan, not on the blades, and gently push on it, to slow it down (not to stop it)

if the sounds goes down, you can figure out which one it is. make sure you touch the metal part of your case before you touch any of the components (to avoid electrical arc).

best of luck, let us know wat happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom