Want to know rights of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifid

Fully Optimized
Intro; I built a LAN rig and used the same copy of XP on the machine as I have on my main rig. This morning, I turn my PC on to find that little star in the corner saying I have a conterfiet copy of XP and to buy a new code. I will not do this, as there is no way I will buy it when I have a legal copy of XP pro already.

Before I call MS, what rights do I have about this? There is no way that they can block the copy of XP for just one user installing on a second machine. Basically I am asking for ammunition that is not over the top, but will sort this out.

I already know how to tell XP to STFU as it would be, but I am not asking this and do not want anyone to say anything that may get this thread locked.

Thanks, Trif.

Also, is there a count down thingy until it will not log on again?

Trifid said:
There is no way that they can block the copy of XP for just one user installing on a second machine.

read you eula. you need to buy a separate license for each machine you install with xp.

also, you dont "own" the software. MS sold it to you to use, but they reserve the right to disallow use if you do not follow the terms speicfied in the eula.

Even more reason to go to Linux really. So I would just be making a fool of myself trying to persuade MS?

Looks like reserve option tbh. How long do I have to until they will block me loging on?

i think they put the alert there as an annoyance. but i bet you wouldn't be able to pass windows genuine advantage using normal practices; this would prevent you from installing some MS updates.

This is an annoyance though, and IMO unfair that they do this, as I can only be on one PC at a time anyway.

Will my PC be secure for buying things on the internet with out these updates?

Thanks, Trif.

good av and firewall will protect you from internet baddies....but not phishing scams.

spyware scans are a good idea too. spybot, adware, etc

Got AVG from when I was exposed to a trojan on a site (didn't get infected :D ) I am behind a router (even though I have port 80 and 21 forwarded to this PC.) I have neven't done Spybot and adaware but AVG picks up the main ones.

OK, if MS are not going to do anything I will be an early adopter of Vista. Is this fair MS? :p Still not happy with this though.

oh snap, im forgetting automatic updates, which MS will block with windows genuine advantage. these updates fix your OS from known attacks. Your AV may not catch these attacks. Examples Blaster and Sasser.

Hmmm... A Vista Beta 2 is avaliable soon. :/

What the ****, when I have the second PC running I will try the changing the registry thing.

csamuels said:
oh snap, im forgetting automatic updates, which MS will block with windows genuine advantage. these updates fix your OS from known attacks. Your AV may not catch these attacks. Examples Blaster and Sasser.
Yeah, thats what I hate (the always having to re-download Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom