Static I.Ps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death Row

In Runtime
I need to setup a static I.P on my computer, (to portforward) and I just read a tutorial on how to do this. the thing is I read that if you are on a home network (which i am) then all the computers need static I.Ps. but I'm not sure if i just interpreted what it said wrong. I'm on a home network of 4 computers, is it possible to have 3 on dynamic I.Ps and 1 on a static I.P?

It means static IP's as in the internal 10.0.0.1 ones and not the external ones like 82.64.21.105 you probally already have static ip's in the network.

If you manually change it, then you do need to set all the other ones to a different internal IP.

Trifid said:
It means static IP's as in the internal 10.0.0.1 ones and not the external ones like 82.64.21.105 you probally already have static ip's in the network.

Forgive me for being a newb but, could you explain that again?

assuming your router is 192.168.0.1

http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2824

Windows XP

1. Click on the Start menu, select Control Panel
Note: If you are running Windows XP in classic mode, you will need to select the Start menu, select Settings, then choose Control Panel
2. Click the Switch to Classic View icon
3. Double-click the Network Connections icon
4. Double-click on the Local Area Connection of the adapter you want to manually assign, select properties
5. Double-click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP, Select use the following IP address, and then type a unique IP address for each client computer using the range between 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254
6. In the Subnet Mask section, type 255.255.255.0
7. In the Gateway section, type 192.168.0.1
8. Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses, type 192.168.0.1 under preferred DNS server and click OK

Death Row said:
I need to setup a static I.P on my computer, (to portforward) and I just read a tutorial on how to do this. the thing is I read that if you are on a home network (which i am) then all the computers need static I.Ps. but I'm not sure if i just interpreted what it said wrong. I'm on a home network of 4 computers, is it possible to have 3 on dynamic I.Ps and 1 on a static I.P?

Yes you can have static and dynamic, just look into your DHCP pool usually located in the router configuration page. Just assign the computer that need static address the IP that is out of the DHCP range. For example

let's say your DHCP was set to assign IP from 192.168.0.100 to 150. Just use something out of that range like .25 or .2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom