hard drive RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
I have a 200gb maxtor HD now and wanted to install like a raptor 12,000 rpm 80GB HD along with it for games and other high speed tasks,how and what type of raiding should I use

I think you are misunderstanding what exactly RAID is or does.

Have a look here:
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html

By the sounds of things, you are not going to use any type of RAID. You do have a good idea about putting your speed-hungry apps on a faster HD. I actually have Windows and some other programs running on my 36GB 10000 rpm HD, while I use my regular 120GB 7200rpm for storage.

If you are looking for something closer to 80GB, it will actually be a 74GB. Yeah, the Raptors come in weird capacites :D

nitestick said:
you can't. to use RAID you need 2 (or more) identical drives. check out elbatrops link, it explains RAID pretty well.

:) i give people that bookmark too elbatrop

Yeah, it's a good site, and it has nice pictures, etc :D It's what I used to get the fundamentals down!

nitestick said:
you can't. to use RAID you need 2 (or more) identical drives. check out elbatrops link, it explains RAID pretty well.

:) i give people that bookmark too elbatrop

Actualy thats incorrect. you Can RAID 0 with Differen't Sized Harddrives.

To Qoute WIkIpedia
"A RAID 0 (also known as a striped set) splits data evenly across two or more disks with no parity information for redundancy. It is important to note that RAID 0 was not one of the original RAID levels, and is not redundant. RAID 0 is normally used to increase performance, although it can also be used as a way to create a small number of large virtual disks out of a large number of small physical ones. A RAID 0 can be created with disks of differing sizes, but the storage space added to the array by each disk is limited to the size of the smallest disk—for example, if a 120 GB disk is striped together with a 100 GB disk, the size of the array will be 200 GB. "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

However The Speeds Must be the same, So that part is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom