Single IDE to Raid1 SATA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I need a second drive, because my little 20 gig drive is getting maxed with music and pictures. The 20 gig I use as a slave drive just to at least have a second home for pictures/music, so if the main drive dies I have a backup.

I want to order a new drive, but figured I'd look into SATA drives for the Raid1 setup. But my question is, is there anyway I can do a one time mirror, and transfer EVERYTHING 110% that's on my current IDE drive, to the SATA drives, and then operate off of those drives?

Well, if I got you right, than you don't need the RAID just for coping the drive contents.
Just connet your both drives, the way that you will boot from the old one, and the use some kind of backup utility to copy completely contents of the old drive to the new one.
And than simply boot from the new drive, and the trick is done.
It's realy not a big deal, you'll see.

I just wasn't sure how it'd work out with the RAID setup. Like, you say I should plug in the two new SATA drives, right? So overall, I'd have the main IDE drive and the two slave SATA drives. Should I set up the RAID format between the two SATA drives, THEN copy the contents over? That way it would copy to both SATA drives?

How would I do that? Does Windows have some built in program, or would I have to use something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom