Athlon 64 X2 --or-- Opteron Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

blenderbeta

Baseband Member
This system will be the new addition to my home studio. This PC will be used for audio recording (via Sonar 5 Producer), editing (via Sound Forge 8), and Real-Time MIDI Processing (via Sonar 5, and BFD XFL)

I need the processor which can handle the most load at the fastest rate. Due to BFD and various plugins.

I also plan on playing games in my spare time.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ / 2MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Dual-Core
--or--
AMD Opteron Dual-Core 175 2.20GHz / 2MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Hyper-Transport / Dual-Core

Which one is better? The aspects i'm looking at are overclockability, stability, ability to handle load, and speed.

Any reason why? Thats what i've heard based on popular opinion. Anyone have any experience or data to back this up?

the general said:
Opteron 175 is what i'd go for

:D

Acctualy if you want a fast processor Just wait for Conroe

DO NOT ASK ME WHY JUST DO IT. if you ask why this thread will turn into one of the other "AMD VS CONROE" Threads.

Just wait. Period.

My problem is that at the moment I am without a main PC. I recieved an offer that I couldn't refuse. So I was wondering which of the two above processors to go with right now. I will get a conroe anyway. But for the meantime, wat do you reccomend?

july is when conroe will be here :)

if you cant wait that long
and you cant overclock then get an x2 4400

if you can overclock get an opty 175

but if you can wait it will be worth it :)

The MB is a "DFI LANparty UT NF4 Expert" which do you recomend? if I get the opty and OC, will it be 'better' then the 4400+?

What I want to know is which processor operating at is peak stability, OC'd or not, will be the best choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom