Solid State Member
I have a problem with my current setup:

P4 3.2ghz Intel CPU
Asus P4S800D-X mb
512mb pc3200 DDR Kingston stick
Maxtor HD
Gforce 128mb video card
Case bought from Fry's ($90) w/ 350w power supply

This machine has always been a little sketchy in terms of reliability. Sometimes it would work great and then at times it would have a problem booting up (clear the CMOS) or would unexpectantly reboot. Now upon startup it will shut itself down during the BIOS boot....I can't even get into the BIOS menu.

I have swapped the memory with two different kinds, swapped video cards, even another power supply (iffy- another Fry's unit).

Could it be the CPU or maybe still the power supply? I have a feeling the machine thinks the CPU was overclocked and goes bananas (sometimes I get the CPU overclock failure message). As a note, I have never overclocked anything on this machine.

UPDATE: I was able to boot up the machine and get into the BIOS, but of course after a minute or two it shut itself down, but not before I got some Voltage numbers to share with all of you.

CPU 188.5 F
MB 77 F
CPU Fan speed 2636rpm
Core Voltage 1.34-1.36
3.3V 3.34-3.36
12V 11.79-11.85

It seems that the voltage is pretty steady, but isn't the CPU running a little hot?

Where should I start here? Any suggestions would be
appreciated....thanks!

Re:

Hello,

If the information you've posted is correct, it seems that your system is powering itself off because it's overheating. A protection measure.

188.5 Degrees Fahrenheit is about 90 Degrees Celsius!

What thermal interface material are you using...and what heatsink?

Make sure that there is adequate thermal interface material (be it thermal paste, compound or pad) and that it is applied properly. Also ensure that if you used a thermal pad between the CPU and heatsink, that you removed the protective film. Also ensure that the heatsink is seated properly, that the fan is fitted and plugged into the motherboard.

fastsvo, I have had the same issue's before. I also have an Asus motherboard... Some asus motherboards come with a feature called AI NOS. The AI NOS automatically overclock's your cpu and ram speed's...causing it to produce more heat. so, try going into the bios and disabling this feature.

Thanks for the help guys....I just went and got some thermopaste...we'll see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom