my multiplier doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
another marketing sheme... grrr, lets put the multiplier to 10 and call this a 3500+ haha... (no i don't know if thats the actual multiplier)

well i''d assume its that way.. seeing a 4400 plus is just a toledo clocked down to 2.2 then the 4800 is 2.4 .. then the fx60 is 2.6 w/ unlocked multiplier, i would guess thats about it.. lets pay another 200 dollars for a cpu when you could overclock .2 ghz with value ram and stock cooling

Right, and it's only fair for them not to allow the changing of multipliers. Then they would only sell lower-end chips and not make a fair amount of money. It's annoying, even to me, but you have to think of the families the company has to feed too.

And upping the multiplier does NOT increase a need for voltage, but upping the HT will. Basically there is only one chip used to produce the Athlon 64 3000+, Athlon 64 3200+ and Athlon 64 3500+:

Athlon 64 3000+ - 9*200 = 1800mhz
Athlon 64 3200+ - 10*200 = 2000mhz
Athlon 64 3500+ - 11*200 = 2200mhz

And the same goes for the Athlon 64 3700+ and the Athlon 64 4000+. Infact the only physical difference between the lower Athlon 64's and the faster Athlon 64's is that they faster Athlon 64's have doubled the L2 cache of the slower Athlon 64's, but aside from that they are identical except for the different multipliers.

And when you use half-multiplier settings on the FX's - they usually rouch them up, thats why you are not seeing a change.

i was going to mention the same thing, the 0.5 multipliers are dodgy. try using an integer value.

also the cores are not exactly the same. they are binned (tested) to run reliably at different frequencies and voltages. an x2 4400+ is probably unlikely to be capable of running 2.6ghz like the FX-60 at stock voltage, the chips are basically sold according to quality.

And upping the multiplier does NOT increase a need for voltage, but upping the HT will
Sorry but that's just incorrect. Raising the clock speed of the CPU, regardless of using the multiplier or HTT, will require upping the voltage.

And the same goes for the Athlon 64 3700+ and the Athlon 64 4000+. Infact the only physical difference between the lower Athlon 64's and the faster Athlon 64's is that they faster Athlon 64's have doubled the L2 cache of the slower Athlon 64's, but aside from that they are identical except for the different multipliers.
You're grouping way too many things in. There are different cores. If you mean LOW low AMD like the semprons, then not only do they have less L2 cache, but the way the core is designed simply can't crunch numbers like the higher athlon series CPU's

Regarding the half multi, it doesn't just affect FX series chips. It affects all of the CPUs. That's why you get a program like A64MemFreq11 that figures out what your RAM and all that will be with certain multis and dividers.

lol - well, im not gonna mess around wiwht 'A64MemFreq11' < the BIOS works fine.

And I asn't sure about other chips, because I never touch them. I have all intel chips except for my FX and a couple older athlons lying around. Took me a while to undersand the Hyperstransport thing but now i got it all flying.

lol - well, im not gonna mess around wiwht 'A64MemFreq11' < the BIOS works fine.
I'm not talking A64 Tweaker dude. This is A64MemFreq

It has nothing to do with actually setting anything at all. It simply allows you to plug in numbers, choose the multi and the RAM divider so you'll know exactly what everything is running at. It'll show you what your memory will be when using a half multi, hence why I brought it up earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom