I Am Pleased To Announce.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy to finally see these babies out on the open market;

However, I still do not believe the new AM2 socket will be enough of a performance increase to truely compete with the new intel conroe.

Well we can see form the benchmarks that there isn't really much performance increase at all.
Factor in the high cost of DDR2 800 and the high price for the FX62 and it becomes an entirely untenable proposition. Who will pay these prices for a few precent performance over the FX60?

There is definitely no reason to upgrade from a socket 939 setup to an AM2 setup at this point, but if you were building new, and dead set on AMD, it would definitely be the way to go for future upgrade purposes. K8L/quad cores will be coming out next year and will almost surely be available for AM2 only.

Of course, I'll be picking up a Core 2 Duo in a couple of months
:D

am2 is selling for the same price as the other amd processors

if you are gonna upgrade to another AMD then you might as well go AM2

but hey it STILL comes down to your own personal decision.
the AM2's are greatly priced and they arent bad at all

sure conroe has the full potential to spank the shii out of AM2 but as of today not many people need anything more then what AMD is providing.

it comes down to looking at price.
we will see how much conroes are gonna come for (idk if they have released a price as of now)

lets not start an AMD/Intel argument here. we are all mature enough to just wait a little while and see what happens.

from what i can see conroe is going to be better.

In about a year my computer is going to suck, so I have to think about upgrading. I think that I will just wait until Conroe, since I want to see what Intel has to offer, and it will probably take me that much time to get the money anyway. Besides, GeForce 8 is comming out soon anyway...

Dante_Caligari said:
So I shouldn't upgrade? It would be about 360$ for a dual core 3800+ CPU and AM2 motherboard.

And how much for the low latency DDR2-800 that you need to see any performance improvement over s939?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom