hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running

Daemon Poster
hey how do i put my pc in hibernate, cause when i go to start>turn off computer i only see stand by, restart, and shut down.

this is probably one of those questions when i learn how to do it, feels like its stupid i even asked in the first place:p . but anyways know how? thanks

Just answer the ? When the little box comes up, press and hold shift, and you'll see it take the place of stand by.

Green Radience said:
What does this have to do with

Buying, Building, or Upgrading High Performance PC Systems?

errr. because if you have a high end computer you can go into hibernate mode to save power:amazed: haha i don't know i was in this part of the forum so w/e

thanks viper

hibernate saves as much power as being shut off and it can be set via power options

sorry man you cant set it right away... your computer can only be in hibernation at the minumim of 2 hours of inactivity

i think thats total bull, they should let you have the option to hibernate... its waaayyy better than stand by

what do you mean i can't set it right away? go to control panel > power options > hibernate tab > then clikc on enable hibernate.

then as viper said hold shift and you can go into hibernate

Re:

Hello,

Standby and Hibernate aren't the same thing.

Standby is a 'sleep' state, which leaves the data stored on the RAM. RAM is volatile, so they need to be powered constantly. Switching the PC off from the mains will cause data corruption and you'll lose all work in any active applications, with data residing in the main memory.

Hibernate is a 'deep sleep' state, where all data from RAM is dumped and saved onto the Hard Drive. When you boot the PC back up, it reloads the data from the Hard Drive to the Main Memory. This boot process is therefore slower than Standby, but saves power and you can turn of the mains without damage.

And you can Hibernate a system at any time, at your choosing...just as long as you have it enabled (as Running explained) and you make sure you choose Hibernate (as Viper15 stated).

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
Hibernate is a 'deep sleep' state, where all data from RAM is dumped and saved onto the Hard Drive. When you boot the PC back up, it reloads the data from the Hard Drive to the Main Memory. This boot process is therefore slower than Standby, but saves power and you can turn of the mains without damage.

How is it better than shutting the computer off? That saves power too, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom