IHS Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh but i have got pics, i just couldn't upload them at the time because they were on a floppy and my floppy drive is ahhhh non-operational at the moment. i'll upload the pics and link in a couple of minutes :) by the way, turns out the temps dropped 14 degrees :amazed: for some reason i didn't think about the fact when i said temps had dropped 8 degrees i was running at a higher voltage and speed :D

IHS and CPU:

mvc169f2hz.jpg

IHS:

mvc168f1li.jpg

CPU:

mvc166f9lb.jpg

edit: sorry about the picture sizes, i didn't have access to Fireworks or any image software. also apologies for the poor quality :p it's the only camera i had access to.

cool deal. K7's didn't have any IHS, wonder why the K6's did. Look at all that space you have to work with that doesn't have any transistors :p On the opty's those freakin things are right up at the edge of it.

Now you just need to do it to your X2 so you can put the picture of it NEKKID in your signature instead of the one you got.

yeah. the pIII's went without IHS's as well. i think the deal was that PIII's and the K7's were really the first to go without IHS's. before the K6-2 cpu's just came in a ceramic package with the core at the bottom so i think the k6-II was first to have it on top and they included the IHS. following that they realised the temps were a heck of a lot better without it but then i assume people damaged the cores (don't see how) and the P4 and K8 series have all had IHS's since.

anyway i am seriously contemplating removing my IHS now but i'm still worried about having my typhoon hinging off it as i do go to LAN parties every now and then. considering last time i had to move the pc the typhoon shifted far enough to increase my temps by 5 degrees :amazed: i'm a little worried about having it sit on the naked core. i'll wait until i get my water setup hopefully in a few months. i'm wondering did you have any trouble with a) niching the PCB of the processor or b) bending pins. i know i had to spend about 5 minutes straightening out pins on that K6 and the pins are quite a bit stronger than the ones on s939.

how strange is it that most people on the internet look at naked women.........and we look at naked processors :p

how about naked women holding naked processors!?

Anywho, to answer your question........there was a couple times I knicked the PCB because I first attempted to use a box cutter which wound up being too big but it wasn't very big chunks or anything like that. You can just see a faint little line.

Then I just used that razor I pulled out of a cheap little bic. That thing was so freakin thin and flimsy it made it easier to keep it straight and not slice the PCB. Like I said thought, the only problem with that is that it easily slices up your finger a little bit so I'd suggest some gloves or maybe wrapping some electrical tape around part of it so you can grip it better.

As for bending the pins, it's best to use the little black piece of foam that come with the CPU in it's retail box. That helps to keep you from bending them. You gotta realize though, although the AMD64s pins are smaller, they are closer together and shorter. That spreads the weight of your finger over more pins which makes it not as easy to bend as you'd think.

Don't know....either way I was sweatin bullets during the process. Took about 10 mins since I took my time and all.

If that typhoon isn't a bolt through style then yeah, you really shouldn't remove the IHS as the retention clip style would need modding and then you're just increasing the chances of something going wrong.

Now I need to put a makeshift heatsink on my PWM IC I guess. That thing is getting mighty toasty.

you sure you're maxing out the springs on the bolts? I mean I know these new heatsinks are getting ridiculously heavy these days, but that's all I can suggest. You could always try to make a little bracket to support the heatsink.

I know there was a member here who drilled the top of his heatsink and the crossbar near the top of his case. He then just took a piece of metal that screwed into the heatsink and the crossbar thus holding the heatsink in place.

ahhh I am so tempted to do this and think the next time I pull my CPU out I'm going to end up doing it

Now I need to put a makeshift heatsink on my PWM IC I guess. That thing is getting mighty toasty.
yeah really I have no idea what I'm gonna do, I have those stock microsinks on them plus a fan blowing over them and they're still hitting over 50C and I don't think the microsinks come off as I've tried, I think they used thermal adhesive for them

I don't think the microsinks come off as I've tried, I think they used thermal adhesive for them
They are soldered on :) Those are just mosfets though, not the actual PWM IC.

This photo is rather huge, and the quality is really low to try and save space but it will wound up pretty big.

(Click picture so you can see what I'm talking about)
Anywho, the little yellow thing that's circled is the actual temp sensor. The other thing I circled is the PWM IC itself.

I've got a little desk fan blowing in that area and it lowered the temp by quite a bit, however.....since that temp sensor is readily exposed I doubt the reading I'm getting is very accurate, since naturally the sensor with air rushing over it will be cooled quite a bit.

ahhh I am so tempted to do this and think the next time I pull my CPU out I'm going to end up doing it
You should......grow a pair and join the rest of the MEN :p

Like I said, best thing that seems to work is just taking apart a crappy little bic. As I've stated though, get gloves to hold it, or put wrapping tape around the part you're going to hold for better stability and so it wont dig into your finger.

Who knows when you'll just 'pull' your CPU out. Get in there and do it at some sporadic moment like myself :D

12:30am and I just decided to pull it off haha. Even though I HATE moving my computer around and having to reconnect everything cause I'm lazy like that

I've been reading articles all over the place talking about the Intel Pentium D 805 is torching all other desktop CPU's in the OCin' department. It's reaching 4.1Ghz on decent cooling, "water" for a mere $130 - you obviously need a newer 9XX intel mobo and some good ram...

But, nice potential for the OCer...

well, if I woulda gotten on the opty bandwagon sooner I probably would be rolling at 3GHz right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom