Fx62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, well, there's a lot of misinformation going around about it. And when you think about it; Conroe comes out in roughly 2 weeks, so buying a AMD CPU right now would be Foolish to the Extreme. Also, people just haven't realized how much Intel has AMD beat this time around.

You can kiss AMD goodbye for a couple of years.

yea intel has won but AMD isn't denying it haha. they already know AM2 gives like a 1 percent increase in perf. im just waiting to see how K8L performs.

I can tell you how K8L performs. It brings in L3 cache, it brings in a faster HyperTransport Bus, and it brings in Quad Cores.

No architectural improvements; meaning, no performance-per-clock increase. Its not going to do anything for AMD, especially as Intel gets their Quad Cores out a full 9 months before AMD does. And with AMD stuck with the same performance-per-clock ratio, its not going to get ahead of Intel anytime soon.

To be blunt I'm not happy with this new AMD chip they could have used newer technologies and gotten better results.

Tis good but it's also expensive and could have been better.

Green Radience said:
I can tell you how K8L performs. It brings in L3 cache, it brings in a faster HyperTransport Bus, and it brings in Quad Cores.

No architectural improvements; meaning, no performance-per-clock increase. Its not going to do anything for AMD, especially as Intel gets their Quad Cores out a full 9 months before AMD does. And with AMD stuck with the same performance-per-clock ratio, its not going to get ahead of Intel anytime soon.

Don't jump to conclusions quite yet. K8L is supposed to come out Q1 2007. AMD has a while to change their minds, change things around, and improve what they have. With Conroe coming out soon, I doubt AMD is going to sit back quietly and let Intel take the performance crown for very long. Also, you forgot to mention K8L's added support for DDR3 and FB-DIMM.

I'd say you're the one jumping to conclusions. Yes, I missed DDR3 and FB-DIMM, but I was trying to tell it off the top of my head. That said, what I've said has come directly from the horse's mouth, if you will. AMD has themselves admitted that K8L is a "evolution, not a revolution." It should be quite self-evident that that means there are not going to be any major architectural changes. You can doubt what you want, but from the facts released, AMD isn't getting anywhere. DDR3 isn't going to be such a big deal, though FB-DIMM is interesting. Then again, FB-DIMM alone isn't going to sell someone to AMD, especially as Intel also has future FB-DIMM support planned.

K8L is NOT coming out Q1 2007. It is simply coming out in 2007. As said before, a lack of architectural changes will leave the processors with much to desire. That said, AMD has plans for a K8 Quad Core processor in Q4 of 2007, and a K8L Quad Core in Q1 of 2008. Comparatively, Intel has Quad Cores (Kentsfield) planned for an early 2007 release.

I suggest you take the same advice that your fellow AMD supporters have been saying, and not jump to conclusions about products that are not out yet, and that have no working samples. My conclusions, are atleast an educated guess. Your conclusions, on the other hand, are simply wishful thinking, and assuming you know whats going on in AMD's head. AMD has known about Conroe for a long time, and yet they released this K8L information in just the last few weeks. I'd say thats pretty up-to-date.

K8L? In the end it always ends up being Intel is faster for a period then AMD comes out and bashes up Intel for another period and the bashing happens vice versa.

I just want to see what happens when Intel's new dual core CPU's outdo the X2 series. Maybe thats when the real "Dual core" challenge will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom