A few questions about motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopajoo

Beta member
Well, right now I have a 3ghz pentium, and a radeon 9800 pro, as well as 1.5gb of ram. Basically what I need to know is, if I buy a new motherboard, will I be able to use my old processor? I want to upgrade to PCI-e, but my mobo only supports AGP.

So in a perfect world, I could keep my 3200 DDR RAM, my 3ghz pentium, maybe get a new powersupply, and upgrade my graphics card.

However, in the cruel world we live in, upgrading my mobo, ram, and processor, as well as my graphics card (really the only thing I need to upgrade) would cost me a pretty penny. Im only 16, and basically this summer's work would pay for these upgrades.

Also, I dont know very much about AMD processors, but what would be a AMD comparable to a 3ghz processor? I know its apples and oranges...

Thanks a lot for any input!

LoTeX has a good point, instead of replacing your motherboard you can just upgrade to a better video card with AGP support. Don't worry, you can still find an excellent card with AGP...PCI-Express hasn't completely taken over from AGP yet. See here for more information regarding PCI-E vs AGP.

On the other hand if you're still keen on getting a new motherboard with PCI-E, your current CPU should be fine. 3ghz is powerful enough these days, so just look for a motherboard that will support your particular CPU's socket type. Check the manual to find this out.

Best of luck with your upgrade!

IMO investing more cash into an AGP only board is a waste of time, and chances are that board is Socket 478, which doesn't have a lot of processor upgrading ability.

My advice would be to upgrade to an AMD Socket AM2 motherboard of wait for the revision of Intel Socket T for Conroe.

DDR2 is the way of the future, and Intel and AMD's newest sockets both rely on DDR2 memory.

The AMD equivalent of the Pentium 4 3.0Ghz is the Athlon 64 3000+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom