Building a computer for around $600

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuaveDoesTheUSA

Solid State Member
Hey guys. I'm trying to put together a gaming rig for myself. I mainly want to run games like World of Warcraft with all the bells and, if I can afford it, some of the whistles. I don't need anything fancy like dual cores but would like to have a motherboard that would have the option of upgrading to dual core in the future. Do you guys have any ideas for a mobo, cpu, mem, and video card?

Well if you want future upgrade ability then wait until AMD's Socket AM2. But if you want to run WoW on nice settings, be prepared to pay at least $1000, if not $1200 at a minimum. $600 will barely get you a decent office PC.

Man, I didn't realize it would be so much. What kind of gear would you suggest to run WoW nicely, even if it does cost more than a thousand?

It's possible to put together one for $600 ;) No monitor, but you have that right? I will get you a list of some goods :)

ASUS a8n5x
NVidia 6600
2 Gigs of Value RAM
Cheap Case
AMD 3200 (To avoid cutting edge prices on the AM2)
Since it's a cheap motherboard (relatively) you can upgrade to
AM2 in the future, when it's cheaper.
ANTEC 450Watt Power Supply

That's my go. Any other comments? I don't know much about WoW, but that'd be a decent, cheap machine.

AMD Athlon 3200+ = $145.99

Thermaltake Soprano Case with 430w PSU = $96

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A = $33.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive = $71.99

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory = $79.99

ASUS A8N5X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard = $78.99

XFX PVT42EUDE3 6800 XTreme 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card = $94.99 after rebates.

$601.94 + whatever shipping is to your house.

This computer smokes one of my friends' computer and his plays WoW flawlessly. His is a system with an Athlon XP 2800+ and a 9800pro with 512mb of memory and almost no hdd space left :p With what I put together you get 1gb of ram in dual-channel mode, a graphics card with 256mb of GDDR3 memory which is the fastest and 256-bit memory interface which is great! Also a case with great cooling, made by a trusted brand, and a nice power supply!

This is officially the best budget PC I have ever put together :p If you get it then tell me how great it is :) I would not mind pulling some money together to get this thing as my first PC :)

Actually, the post above mine has a much better video card :) But no DVD drive :( Though if you wait I here when AM2 comes out the s939 processors out now are going to go down a bit :) <3

if you want, wtk pro l has his 3200+ for 100 bux in the BST, and d*** they OC like beasts. they usually top out at 2.9ghz w/ 1.55-1.6v in em. I can get mine stable to 2.4-2.5ghz on stock votls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom