Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Pardy

In Runtime
I, in my wrong mind, just purchased another 256mb RAM stick to have 512MB of RAM. Now I discovered I probably want around 1GB to run Vista without too many slow-downs when it is released.

Is it worth it to upgrade to 1 GB? (I'll need to buy 2 512mb sticks or 1 1GB stick)... to get ready for optimal performance on Vista?

I know Vista only *requires* 512MB, but I only got like 448MB (or close it to) after the 64mb goes to the video card...

Should I upgrade to 1GB?

:p Just want to prepare for a good Vista experience before its released.

On top of ram, the requirments release says something about a 128MB video card as well... Now of course those are the minimums that MS puts out... optimal I would go with 2GB and a 256MB card... but truthfully... I would wait to see what vista is going to do first. If you don't need it now then wait... but you will get better performance now if you went to 1GB... I wouldn't upgrade JUST for vista, is all I'm saying I guess... most systems and games run better with a gig.

With the system you have now, you'll do better staying with XP. Too many people are running XP for MS to just drop support for it.

Vista will probably run on your setup, but not well, and definately not with the bells and whistles.

I know all that, its not just for Vista, but I was wondering about the performance changes (and speed) between 512 and 1024... Is there a huge difference?

i say upgrades when a good deal comes around, it's never bad to have extra ram around. and see if you can dedicate more memory to your video card, that might help perfomance too. and i would also agree that you shouldn't get vista. when it'll come out first it ain't gonna be all of that. wait a couple of service packs, then put it up, yuo know?

best of luck

ps: watch how you put all the sticks in, w/ pc2300 and pc2100, so they don't get bottlenecked

Yeah, I'm not going to be getting Vista right away, I got the Vista Transformation Pack installed now and makes Windows XP actually look pretty cool, so thats fine for me for now. But I was just planning for the future.

Maybe I'll look around for some great deals. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom