pc wont power up/load up hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamelliott

Beta member
Ive had my Desktop PC for about 4-5 years.

A few days ago it stopped working all together.
I turned it off for the night and within a few minutes it had turned itself back on, but had just jammed-the monitor was saying there was no signal.

The DVD-RW drive was flashing and the ON button for the tower was orange. (normally green when working ok).

The speakers were plugged in and were making a popping/clicking noise. Does anyone have any idea what this might be. Is it dead or is a really simple fix??

Ive opened it up and had a dig around but no obvious problems. The motherboard fan looks as if it sometimes doesnt kick in (sometimes it does!?)-could this be the reason?

any help is much appreciated

adamelliott said:
within a few minutes it had turned itself back on

thats just plain strange. how does it turn itself back on?

if u use the power button does it do anything (turn it on/off)?

i think its possessed!

I bought a dell computer on the down low once with the same problem. a new mobo (and case as dell make custom boards) fixed it

I had another non dell computer with the same problems. a bad processor was the culprit

Cheers guys.

When i try turning the power button on/off again to restart it doesnt do anything at all. Just stays jammed making the popping noise. i have to unplug from the mains or from the back of the tower.

So if its the mother board or processor, i take it its good for the trash- cost wise?!!??

or do you think it would be worth handing it over to "PC World" to fix or just get a new tower and cut my losses!??

Thanks again for the help!

FlashDude said:
Bad motherboard or psu.

no fan's or nothing?? Then it is probably the PSU (Power Supply) If you have to bring it somewhere to get fixed then it isn't going to be worth it, They will say $300 right off the bat. You don't know a geek that can fix you up? If not buy yourself a new system, You don't need anything fancy. Check out the small PC shops in your area, they are almost always better and cheaper!! Tell them you have $500 build me the best you can for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom