Just reformatted friend's computer, Internet (SB4100 USB Cable modem) DOES NOT WORK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rocket1406 said:
He lost the CD for the cable modem.

What if he doesn't want to do wireless.

Will the same USB drivers still be okay for wired Internet directly from the Cable Modem?

you are not looking for the cable modem's usb drivers.
if you don't want to do wireless, then you have to go the wired route. then you can use the usb modem driver (you have to plug the usb plug from the modem into the computer), although the Ethernet cord is a better option.

why don't you pull out the wireless device and look at it's name, so you can go to the website and download the drivers.

or get a program like Everest to tell you the name of the driver

When I plugged in the modem by USB cable, Windows did not recognize anything... it DID NOT "Find New Hardware".

This is Windows XP Pro.

Is that Motherboard driver the correct one?

What do I do... just start windows and double click install the driver inside of Windows?

The file is 1015.003.zip, and inside of it is just a file P4B533-1015.003

How do I install this?

In which category is "motherboard" in the DEVICE MANAGER?

As others have tryed to tell you, you MUST have the usb drivers for your modem to use the usb on the modem. Have you tryed other usb devices? If other usb devices don't work you need your chipset drivers. I recommend you don't use this for one you where using the best hardware firewall available (the router) now you won't have any. Why doesn't he want to use the wireless?? If he doesn't for sure want to use the wireless than buy a $10 Nic ethernet card and use that. I have about 5 here if he want's to stop buy I will give him one, lol.

So can you find the modem drivers ? Here's the chipset drivers if you need them http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...All&OSFullName=All+Operating+Systems&lang=eng

Did you read these instructions from motorola?

If a Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem was previously installed (successfully or unsuccessfully),
ensure the USB cable from the SURFboard cable modem IS CONNECTED to the PC and the cable modem.
Uninstall the SURFboard USB Cable Modem using the Windows Device Manager beginning at Step 1.
If this is a new install proceed to Step 10.

1. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties".

2. In the "System Properties Window", click on the "Hardware" tab.

3. Click on the button "Device Manager".

4. Under "Network Adaptors", right click on the "Motorola SURFboard 4100 USB Cable Modem"
and choose "Uninstall".

5. Unplug the USB cable from the cable modem.

6. Using Windows Explorer, go to the drive that has the media that contains the 2.0.0 drivers
and the "Remove" utility.

7. Double click on the "Remove.exe" icon.

8. From the "SURFboard Cable Modem USB Driver Removal" window, click on the "Remove Driver" tab.

Note: Depending on the files found by the removal utility, you may see errors during the removal
process. This is acceptable.

9. After the removal process is completed, "Exit" from the "SURFboard Cable Modem USB Driver Removal"
application and plug the USB cable into the cable modem. If the cable was not removed prior
to running the "Remove" utility, unplug it and plug it back in. Ensure the cable modem is
powered on. This will initiate Microsoft's "Found New Hardware" process.

10. Ensure that the media that contains the new driver files is inserted in the appropriate
drive.

11. The "Found New Hardware" wizard will ask if you wish to "Install the software
automatically (Recommended)". Ensure that is the only item selected and click "Next".

12. When the "Completing the New Hardware Wizard" window appears, click "Finish".

13. In some cases you may have to request an IP address. Open up a "command" window,
and type:

c:\ipconfig /release
<enter>
ipconfig /renew
<enter>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom