Sharing files between Desktop/Laptop & Laptop to Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlashDude said:
Since now you have the best firewall possable(Your router) you don't need a stand alone software firewall. A router plus windows built in firewall are all you need. And like I said windows firewall plays nice with your home network.

I have to disagree, windows firewall doesn't stop any outgoing traffic nor do hardware firewalls. These days you really need up and downstream protection.

MrCoffee said:
I have to disagree, windows firewall doesn't stop any outgoing traffic nor do hardware firewalls. These days you really need up and downstream protection.

Why are you worried about attacking yourself! haha

If you get a trojan it will likey dial out to download some friends or atleast to feed data from your computer to the hacker.

If you're ok with all your bank details, passwords, creditcard details etc going straight through your firewall without it blinking then I guess you dont need upstream protection.

If you get infected with a trojan don't you think the first thing it will do is disable your firewall, I mean come one if you were a virus writer and you couldn't disable a firewall you wouldn't be in bussiness very long. Do you know who Steve Gibson and Leo Laporte are? You need to go to itunes and download and listen to episode 3 of security now. Here's a little sample.

STEVE GIBSON: Well, yeah. I guess the point is that a software firewall, while it's running in your machine,it's victim to anything that your machine is. And we know, we know for sure that many malware now deliberately knows about software firewalls and has taken actions to shut them down. So while a software firewall is certainly a good thing to have for monitoring outbound flow from your machine, what few people recognize is that a NAT router, the same kind of NAT router that, you know, many people have for so-called "IP sharing," where they have one IP on their cable modem or their DSL, and they want to share it among many machines, that makes inherently an extremely good hardware firewall.

Yes I am aware of steve gibson but i'm afraid the guy is a well known idiot who talks absolute rubbish with a great frequency.
Seriously just google "steve gibson idiot"

A NAT router with a hardware firewall is a good thing to have but it does not block outbound traffic!
You have to set a rule to allow your Pc's IP access to the modem and that allows everything through.

Some malware do target security applications but the vast majority of trojans, viruses, malware etc do not. This is not a good reason to abandon all attempt at protecting your upstream.

The guy who discovered spyware (and called it spyware)is an idiot? You don't even know how a router works do you? How a router works is what makes it a firewall not the stupid built in firewall. Every packet leaving your machine has a unique identifyer atached to your machine so return trafic can be routed back to you, any packets with out this identifyer are just dropped! (IE hacker attack/worm) They don't go anywhere they fall off the face of the earth.

You have to set a rule to allow your Pc's IP access to the modem and that allows everything through.

^^^^^ WTF are you talking about in the above statement. Are you thinking about the DMZ that's for stupid people that don't know how to forward ports!

Yes I have a router and no i'm not using a DMZ, with NAT as far as i'm aware a router is pretty irrelevant so far as outbound connections are concerned.

Why not try running leak test (written by steve gibson), I think you'll find that without a firewall your router offers you no protection in this context.

A rounter may drop non legitimate packets but you will find that connections initiated from your computer by a trojan are legitimate.

MrCoffee said:
Yes I have a router and no i'm not using a DMZ, with NAT as far as i'm aware a router is pretty irrelevant so far as outbound connections are concerned.

Why not try running leak test (written by steve gibson), I think you'll find that without a firewall your router offers you no protection in this context.

A rounter may drop non legitimate packets but you will find that connections initiated from your computer by a trojan are legitimate.

Yeah ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom