Help me tweak RAM (gaara)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtk pro l

Daemon Poster
Ok i need some help tweaking my RAM, gaara you said you could help me in my other thread, well now I need help. Or anyone else who would like to help. Ive got G skill extreme series pc4000. running opteron at 285mhz with RAM at 1:1. Here is a A64 Tweaker screenshot of current settings.

you're running 3-4-4-8, that's pretty loose timings. What is it's stock speeds?

A couple things I notice first off is your Row Recycle time and Row Refresh Cycle time. On the (trc) your timing is currently 7. That is the tightest you can go. Primarily meaning anything tighter than that will usually = instability. Since you're overclocking it you might want to go looser than 7 especially with the (trfc) at 18. Generally you want the trc to be 2 faster than the trfc.

So if the trc is 7 the trfc should be 9, or the trc should be 16 since your trfc is 18. I'd try something like 12 for the trc and 14 for the trfc and see if that helps your RAM clock further.

Or if you dont want it to clock further then make the trfc at 9 and see if that'll work, if not loosen them both up.

I'd first see if you can't get your timings to 3-3-3-8 or something along those lines though. At 3-4-4-8 I'd think they'd go up to 300Mhz if it's supposed to be good g. skill chips

From left down to right down (ignore the memclock part at the bottom right)

3120cycles
Enable
8x
128bit
Disable
Disable
7x
10ns
8ns
256clocks
Disable
Enable
Weak
Disable

As noted you already have some pretty lax timings, what I have listed above is basically the absolute most relaxed settings
without having to go to absolutely ridiculous settings like 3-5-5-12 or some crap...so basically when you hit your wall, that is the absolute wall

They key is basically the mind the sweet spot between latency and speed...so basically push your RAM to where you want it and then work your way back down tightening stuff back up from. I don't think you'll get much more than 285MHz though since you pretty much already have most influential settings incredibly loose

Generally you want the trc to be 2 faster than the trfc.

So if the trc is 7 the trfc should be 9, or the trc should be 16 since your trfc is 18. I'd try something like 12 for the trc and 14 for the trfc and see if that helps your RAM clock further.
I found that the formulas they gave over on dfi-street weren't really working out for me and I had to change things up and found there wasn't a set formula for determining much apart from cas + trcd + 0.5/1 = tras...the dudes running the OCZ tech support were giving me settings that didn't match that of what was listed at dfi-street either

OK thanks, Ill do that right now. I just stuck my 3200 in and its running pretty good. I can bench at 2.9, going for 3.0. :)

look like someone saw my 3200+ clock and they got jealous?? lol jk, shall we make it a battle? youll most likely come out on top since you have better OCing ram than I. btw, need to talk to you on aim wtk.

well you can't keep switching out processors and expect your RAM to remain consistent, every single memory controller is going to be engineered differently and hence you'll get different results with different chips

Especially if you're constantly switching back and forth and by some chance the memory controller doesn't like some specific settings, both the memory controller and memory in general are incredibly sensitive and much easier to fry than a CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom