comilation of RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmmmm, Lazer viking, I would recommend you stop overclocking immediately. It is obvious to me that you have absolutely NO idea what is going on. What is all this "its stopped at 210FSB, so that's 105MHz" nonsense? If it's running at 210, that means it is at 420MHz, and not 105Mhz. I think you should read all the stickies in the overclocking section before even coming back here to ask questions. Its not that I don't want to help, but its hard to figure out what you're saying, just because YOU don't even know what you're saying.

I'm using corsair value select and for me it happily OCs to 440Mhz with a voltage bump but with out the voltage bump I can't even get 402Mhz out of them.

I could probably push the ram further (I haven't probed the limits) but i'm a little reluctant as I've already maxed the voltage and the chips are certainly running quite warm. I might try mounting a fan in the side of the case to blow onto them..

I think in ideal conditions you should be able to push value select to about 460Mhz

lazer viking

You keep screwing with the divider which is giving you all the problems. Leave your divider at 1/1 and your cpu multiplier @ 14 when you start. You have PC-3200 so it runs stock @ 200 mhz. Your fsb and memory run in sync at stock; it should be 200 mhz for both. Gradually increase the speed of your RAM and keep your fsb speed @ 200 mhz then as you increase the speed of the RAM set the divider to equal the ratio of fsb and ram speeds. i.e. if your RAM is running @225 mhz and your fsb @ 200 mhz you set the divider at 4/5 (fsb/ram). And in your 3rd post, you need to OC your memory to see where the ceiling is for the memory, not the fsb.

Lazer Viking, I'm not being rude, as your private message states, but you are changing 10 things at a time, instead of just stopping, listening, and then going further. Do what Kaname has just recommended. Have you read the stickies on the Overclocking page? Have you Googled overclocking? Right in the beginning, when I told you to go research before continuing, you told me that you are, by asking us questions and changing stuff as you go along. That's not research, that's looking to fry you PC. Yes, all of us was noobs, but we took things slow before just randomly changing things that could damage our PCs. And we listened to people who knew what they are talking about. As Kaname said, take things back to stock, ans take it slowly from there. Do you understand what I'm trying to say now, or am I going to get another snotty private message?

No need to go aggro lazer viking, magouster said that so you don't fry your system. He's not trying to hurt, just trying to help.

yes, of course im listening to everything everyone says. it would be pointless to ask questions if i didn't... anyway, i understand it now. it was just a small thing that was confusing me. and still, i dont understand why it didn't work, but im going to go ahead and just accept that it didn't work. mem dividers are just dodgy, i suppose. things would have been easier if instead of my BIOS saying 'Auto' for all of the values, it would've told me what the SPD rating was, i would have known what the stock settings were. this is exactly what happened, step by step and maybe you'll see things from my point of view. i was stepping the CPU down so that when i hit a wall, i'd know it was the ram and not the CPU. 13.5 was surely suffiecient enough to do the job. in that same BIOS session, i put the ram on 1/1.
since i didn't know that half multipliers didn't work (as i didn't see any reason for them not to, they should not put them in the BIOS as an option if they don't :p) i assumed that putting my RAM on 1/1 was the reason it didn't post. so i put it on 1/2, and for some odd reason the 13.5 multiplier did work.
so then i go into memtest87 or whatever and the test froze. (that was the first experiance i had with memtest so i thought that when it froze it found an error. now i know that it actually shows the errors with a red background.) so i lowered and lowered until it did work @ 110fsb which is 105mhz.
hopefully now you can see where my confusion was and why i posted such noob questions all over the place.

sorry for the hostility magouster, maybe i over did it a bit but the line:
It is obvious to me that you have absolutely NO idea what is going on.
is what set me off. i've spent literally two months of my spare time reading a bunch of overclocking sites, printed out pages and pages of things to read during SSR (sustained silent reading time in school :p) before i did anything at all. telling me that im uneducated really p*ssed me off. sorry again. :(

So where are you now? Do you know what the limit of your RAM is? I think we should take it really slow from here. Agreed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom