Life sucks, then your hard drive dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a HSF?

and I don't think its the temps because I don't see how the temps would be having an effect on the HD. if the temps where a problem, the computer would simply shutdown.... or reboot.

but how can I tell what the system temps are without being in bios?

what is that command to run that utility that shows all of the system stats? {it kinda reminds me of directX... something}

oh,,, oh,,, and around an hour ago... it went to the blue screen of death again.. I managed to scribble down a section of the error code before it rebooted.

0x0000007A (0XE15BFECC, -------

Thats as far as I got... does that make any sence to anybody?

HSF = Heat Sink & Fan. You need to check for bad capacitors on the motherboard, Look very closely at the cap's and see if there are any with the tops bulged out or if there are any leaking. A leaking cap looks like a white power build up and rusty looking deposits and if they are really leaking there would be a small amout of a oilly looking substance as well. It would be nice to test a new power supply in there as well. You don't need anything fancy in that socket A something like This silverstone would be fine

To check your temps and voltages you can try the msi tools listed on this page MSI

And do you have the latest bios for that system? It's 1.c 2004/11/01 Latest bios

but with all that said you can pick up a nice socket A board at a mom and pop pc store for about $60 Like the asus A7V8X-X And i agree with you that probably is what's wrong.

ok its just crashed again... I wrote down the error code... but I was writing so fast I cant read it to type it here.. lol.. im sorry (yes I have blond hair)

but when it re-booted.. I went into the bios and looked at the temps:

CPU = 52 C
system = 30 C

are those ok temps?

oh, oh, and should I have S.M.A.R.T. for hard disks enabled?

and thanks FlashDude, i'll look at the mobo right now... back in a few ^_^

k, im back.. everything looked great. and I could see easily cuz Rafe blew all of the dust bunnies out the other day... Its looks like its brand new inside ^_^...

Anyways...

The local computer place doesn't have any Socket A's.. and Rafe even went to CompUSA (i hate them btw) and they didn't even have a socket A.. NewEgg has some... but they're from compainies i've never heard of.

What should I try next?

you are overreacting...a HD dies and you say life sucks? what about people with relatives or friends that died?

bonehelm said:
you are overreacting...a HD dies and you say life sucks? what about people with relatives or friends that died?

? uummm actually, I think he has it the other way around,

life sucks -> then to make it worse. . . a HD dies....

but anywho. . . thanks trotter. lemme take a look at those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom