In game lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

dippy

Beta member
Hey all first il lgive u my system specs.

3.0 Pentium 4 socket 775
1 gig of ram
7900 GT video card
200 gig HD SATA
17in CRT

My problem is I play WoW (World of Warcraft) and in major cities or in big battles I lag very bad. Im not sure at all what it is. I have formatted and have done SP 2 all hardware updates. The 2 things I have thought it may be is onboard sound because thats what i have or maybe a ram problem my ram is a 1 gig stick. When I updated the onboard sound card I noticed a decent amount of loss in lag so it helped a little. Im really not sure what it could be my ram brand is just soem random one. My friend has almost the exact same system except he has a soundcard and he has a 7800 GT so really my comp is better he used a flat panel LCD screen tho. My ingame settings are even less then his. His comp handles WoW with no lag what so ever.All help appreciated. Thank you

I dont think it would be your computer (although i could be wrong, i dont know much about the game). Do you have anyone else accessing your internet while you are playing WoW? Do you get lag spikes in any other game?

I guess if you think there is a problem with your ram, run memtest86 and find out. Do you have any other applications running in the background that could be hogging up system resources?

No one else is on the network, and no i do not get lag spikes. I will ru the mem test. Like I said i have no idea and my friends cmp handles it fine and he doesnt has a good of vid card.

It's called opening ports? you should NEVER and i mean NEVER turn off windows firewall/or any software firewall.

go to worldofwarcraft.com, find out what port they use, open it from

Start>control panel>windows firewall>exceptions>add port

It helped it but didnt make it go away 100%. My onboard soundcard is only 6 chan. So im thinking about getting a new one.

You have onboard sound and your friend has a separate sound card? You can try to put in his (or any other) sound card in your system to see if it will improve performance. You'll have to disable the onboard sound and install new device drivers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think onboard sound uses processor time so that may be hurting performance. In other games (Morrowind for instance) adding a sound card to replace onboard sound has been known to give a significant performance boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom