SATA raid ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SureShot

Baseband Member
Hey guys i have 1 160gb sata hard drive in my computer right now and i was thinking of goign with another because someone said its better adn you can run it in SATA raid 0 ... or something... can someone educate me what Raid 0 is and what it does.. i would appreciate it..

thanks, eric

Well a raid array allows the two drives to be read as 1 single drive allowing for a large storage amount. The array will write data to both drives at the same time in a raid 0 setup. In a raid 0 setup when reading data from the drives it allows for much quicker read times because as it is using the data from the buffer of one HDD it is dumping/filling the data in the other buffer for the other HDD; and it swaps back and forth between the two basically doubling the rate of data transfer. In a Raid 1 (mirroring) array it writes the same data to 2 HDD basically making a back up copy and is for data integrity and safety. Rain 0+1 requires 4 HDD and is a combination of writing to 2 drives at the same time as well as making copies of those 2 on 2 more HDD. Hope that answers your question. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom