Wireless Routing....help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehqir

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have recently taken the plunge and bought a wireless router (Netgear WGT624V3). I have it connected to my pc by an ethernet cable and then wireless switched on for the rest of the users in my house.

Now I have a 10Mb NTL connection, yet if I put on a p2p program nobody else can get any activity from the internet and their connections grind to a halt. I however can use the p2p program and happily browse at full pelt.

Can anyone explain to me where I am going wrong apart from the obvious of not using the p2p program. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers for any help in advance.....

P.S. I have upgraded the firmware to the latest version as well..

what OS are you using?

and have you made sure to install all of the proper protocals on each machine?

have you set the workgroup to the same for all machines?

have you gone to your routers command screen and made sure that all of the settings are correct?

- I am using Windows XP Home with all possible updates done.

- Using WPA-PSK for security & have set it up on mine & the others correctly, because they all connect when were generally surfing.

- Router seems to be working fine...

- Do I have to set up a network within Windows XP, I just want to share the internet connection..?

- Any instructions, or a quick run through guide, maybe I missed something I might be able to pick up on.

Re:

...but if you're not using a P2P program on your machine...everyone has access to the internet (surfing a webpage in Internet Explorer...for example)...?

It could be that your P2P program is consuming all internet bandwidth...but this wouldn't happen during queries, but more likely to happen when downloading. Still I'd expect the internet to be slow, not unavailable on the other PCs.

Perhaps the ports the P2P requires aren't open in the router's settings...but then it would deny access to your machine running the P2P program and allow access to other machines, not allow you access to the internet and deny everyone else...:confused:

Does everyone immediately regain internet access the moment you disconnect and close your P2P program?

When I am not using p2p software, everyone is fine and have access to general browsing. But vice-versa if they turn on a p2p software my internet and the others comes to a halt.

I have port forwarding set for all my p2p applications within the router for tcp and udp.

The moment the p2p applications are closed, normal internet actvity resumes for all the users. This problem makes it so I can never turn on my p2p applications because all the other users instantly know I have as their browsing stops.

This problem is the most annoying thing ever.. and I had the same problem with my last router. Its got to be something I am doing wrong or something I am not doing.

if you had the problem with the last router... don't you link it might be a problem with the p2p apps? like... the ports you're using are conflicting with eachother?

well Im with NTL so doubt its an ISP problem, sounds like your hogging all the bandwidth which shouldnt happen :S when i download it splits the connection equally and i can use it all if the other pc`s arnt active.

What P2P are you using?

do you have UPNP setup?

Do you use DHCP?

Do you have your hardware firewall enabled?

did you port forward for just your IP address or everyone elses?

What P2P are you using? Azureus & Emule

Do you have UPNP Setup? Yes

Do you use DHCP? Yes

Hardware Firewall? Yes

I may be slipping up on not forwarding their ip addresses. I will give it a try and report back.

have you tried using torrents? they suck up a lot of bandwidth, give it a go if it slows down the net for the rest of the comps then I doubt it`ll be a software problem with the P2P`s.

Could be a hardware problem that some wireless routers handle data differently but sadly I am unsure wish i could help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom