PPU Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
after reading a few reviews I'll wait..... until I hear a review that says it doesn't drop fps. Seems like just hype, if you look at the demo on their website you see some horible chop compared to the non physx enhanced demo. Maybe the pci-e 4x version will change that, I don't know.

Considering it is software that runs the PPU it would seem like it would take a large load of the CPU just to run the PPU... And yea the reviews said it dropped the FPS if running a single core compared to dual core cpu...

The thing is, won't they always drop framerates? Their function is to take the strain of physics off the CPU, and enabling better special effects. But better special effects mean GFX have to render the better graphics effects. Or do PhysX cards function as basic GFX cards as well? I'm thinking NO from what I've read.

Of course it's going to drop the framerates...it's just eye candy no different than HDR or AA or AF, you get a nicer experience at the cost of a lower framerate...however if you were to compare the work the PPU is doing compared to if the CPU was doing that work you'd have a much more significant framerate drop so it is doing it's job and taking a load off the CPU

So yeah magouster, you're right, the physics card is just adding more particles and movements that the GPU has to render, it doesn't actually help with the rendering itself therefore framerates will drop

Taking that into consideration, would we really want these cards to have faster processors and increased memory bandwidth? That would mean more and more graphics detail, up to a point where you would have to disable effects just to get decent framerates, thus rendering your physics engine hardware useless and a waste of money. So logically, these PhysX card- and GFX card-manufacturers are working against each other.

They wouldn't be working against each other. I think people fail to realize just how much mathematical crunching that physics calculations require. With all of that gone you're taking a tremendous load off the GPU and the CPU. Then, even when it is more things to render since all other resources can go solely to rendering that scene it should be able to do it.

But since no one here has a physics card and all it's all basically speculation.

I don't think that drops in frame rates will be much of a problem for high end users because there are many systems that get well over 50-60 FPS in good games and a drop in FPS will not affect gameplay with the exception of more physics effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom