'My Docs' missing from 'My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

plank

Beta member
Hi there,

I just added a second "Admin" account and then changed my account type to "Limited". When I log on to the limited account, the "My Docs" link is gone from "My Computer". Shared Docs and all my drives are still there. Now, when i switch user to admin, two "My Docs" folders are there in "My Computer"; the one for the admin user AND the one for the limited account. When logged in as admin and simple file sharing is off, it shows the limited user as the owner of limited's My Docs...

When i use TweakUI logged in as Limited and My Computer selected, the only choice is Control Panel. "Files Stored on This Computer" is not an available option. If I log in as Admin, "Files Stored on This Computer is available and working".

The "Limited" profile in D:\Documents and Settings has the My Docs folder.

How can i get My Documents back into My Computer? Thanks in advance.

the My Documents folder from the admin's account won't show up on the Limited account because...well....it's limited

No, i mean the My Docs for the Limited account doesn't show up in My Computer when i log in under Limited!

Has this issue been resolved?

I am having the same problem. I am using XP Home, and the behavior applies to all limited user accounts, regardless of whether they were once admin accounts or not. Very frustrating for users that are not admins.

TweakUI only has the "Control Panel" checkbox available under "My Computer" ("Files Stored on This Computer" is completely missing) for these limited user accounts.

Much thanks for any help.

-Brian

Try sharing the folders (*right click* -> Properties -> Sharing). Make sure "Make this folder Private" is unchecked. Unless the folders are shared (and perhpas even if they are) other users, including admins, cannot accsess the my docs folder of any other user, limited or not

move your document. start right click my document (you can only do it here) and select properties. select move and move to the admin. documents folder. you have to make yourself an adminstrator first to do it. then change it back to limited.

Well, you could manually move it to the limited users account. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Admin (or Administrator, or whatever head account is) and copy and paste into C:\Documents and Settings\<limited user here>

-SkyHi

First off, thank you to everyone who has attempted to help thus far.

I think the problem isn't being clearly explained. The issue is that the "My Documents" folder is missing from the "My Computer" window for all limited user accounts, i.e. if Bob is a limited user, when he logs onto his account and goes to My Computer, "My Documents" is NOT shown. XP only shows the "Shared Documents" folder.

For some reason, XP is hiding Bob's "My Documents" folder from him in "My Computer." The link from the desktp, start menu, etc. all work fine, and Bob has complete access to his files, but the folder is simply not being shown in MC. Furthermore, the option to show "Files Stored on This Computer" is missing in TweakUI for Bob.

Help! :)

Forgive my ignorance, but how did I answer my own question? Why would XP hide a user's OWN folder? That makes no sense. I would think XP would show Jane her "My Documents" folder and Bob his "My Documents" folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom