Core Values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
I always see people on the net metion their cores, whether it be AMD Venice, Winchester, San Diego etc. Well what does that mean exactly and how do I find out which one I have?

Different cores are just different 'generations' of a certain chip. For example, you could buy an AMD 64 3700 Venice core, which is fast, but not as fast as a 3700 San Diego which has a 1mb L2 cache (as opposed to the Venice's 512kb).

To find out which core you're running just look at your CPU box, or run a program such as CPU-Z.

Different cores are just different 'generations' of a certain chip. For example, you could buy an AMD 64 3700 Venice core, which is fast, but not as fast as a 3700 San Diego which has a 1mb L2 cache (as opposed to the Venice's 512kb).

WRONG!!! but close

the rating basically indicates raw power, so 3700+ is 3700+ no matter what way you look at it. that and the fact there is no 3700+ venice but there is a 3800+ venice. cache makes a difference but it does not effect the power of a given rating. for instance take the san diego core@2.4ghz vs. the venice@2.4ghz. the san diego is 4000+ and the venice is 3800+.

the different cores basically define different features. e.g. venice=90nm, 512kb L2 cache (and some other features we won't go into) san diego=90nm, 1024kb L2 cache.

Ah right, I appologise then for giving a slightly incorrect explanation. *hangs head in shame and backs out*

Well, i think we all learned a valuable bit of info from this..... yeps, thats right; NEVER EVER should you trust someone with a syringe for his or her avatar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom