Fried my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synth7

In Runtime
My old processor was an AMD64 3000+ with a K8T Neo2, with the latest BIOS that was only single-core support.

My new processor is an AMD64 X2 4400+, same board.

When I got it (the new processor), I popped it in, thinking it would start up so I could flash the BIOS to MSI's newest for my board, which has dual-core support. However, everything would appear to come on, but my monitor would say "Off Mode in 5 Seconds", so I couldn't get anywhere. A friend told me I should have flashed the BIOS to the dual core support first, then installed the new CPU. So, I got up some courage, took the new CPU/heatsink combo out, popped the old combo back in, and got it working so that I could flash the BIOS, which looked like it went ok. I then accidentally booted to Windows desktop, so I shut it down as quickly as possible and proceeded to put the new CPU/heatsink back in. I booted up and I got the same thing as before -- nothing, just the monitor coming on to tell me it was about to go into Off Mode. I did what my Mobo manual says to do to reset the BIOS settings, and now it won't even come on at all. Pressing the power button does nothing at all. That might just be something totally unrelated, but with my luck, I don't know.

Is "not coming on at all" a symptom of a fried motherboard? Do you guys (more knowledgable than me) think I fried my brand new CPU too, or what?

Here's the two options I have narrowed it down to, because I'm pretty sure something in there is fried.

New Motherboard that supports on AGP (my current video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128307 - Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 Socket 939 ULi M1689 ATX AMD Motherboard

New Motherboard that supports PCI-E (and a new video card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524 - ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130281 - eVGA 256-P2-N563-AX Geforce 7900GT CO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

it almost sounds like your psu might be fried... because if the mobo was fried (i have never seen one fried, however) that it would at least power on SOMETHING... lights, fans, etc.

this is not my expertise, however. I have the same issue w/ my 4200+ every now and then. When i first installed my new cpu, (it was a whole new build) i had "incompatible memory" (vendor was not approved). So that was my problem.

wait for someone else to answer, however if it is fried and you have the money, grab the pci-e board. But, if you don't game, just pick up the AGP board... but it looks like you do :)

I had thought PSU, but I didn't think I had done anything that could possibly fry it, but it's a possibility I guess.

Also, is there any remote chance that I could have fried the new processor? Could I RMA it if i did?

I agree with tommyboy about the psu, sounds like it could be your problem. But how did you shut it down, did you go through windows to shut it down or did you do a hard power off?

If you happen to have a spare psu lying around try plugging that in with just your mobo, old cpu, and RAM to see if it posts. If it does then your mobo and cpu are ok and you need a new psu.

If it's not your psu the only thing I can recommend is to put your old cpu in and see if it starts up, if it dosen't, you need a new mobo.

And if you just wanna be sure that it's not your new cpu, I'd try and RMA it as DOA.

Take a wire and on the 24pin motherboard connector put it in the green connection and the black one, then turn the power supply on and see if it works.

@ kaname: I tried with the old CPU, same thing. Nothing. I guess I could maybe try and take the PSU out of my Linux box and give it a try. Later though.

Any other ideas/comments from others are welcome. Thanks

I popped out the 400W PSU in my Ubuntu box and tossed in the 450W one from my "broken" box and it works fine (I'm here now, aren't I?), so I think it's safe the PSU is fine, and that I'll be getting a new motherboard soon.

I ordered the second combo (mobo + gfx card), it's arriving tomorrow. I'll post back when/if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom