Corrupt file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khromosone

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I turned on my computer this morning to be greeted by a message saying that c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt...

I posted on another forum and a guy linked me to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q307545

So i read through that and tried to type mp tmp and was let down by a message coming up and saying access denied.

Is formatting the only way to go? I've got a crapload of stuff on my computer, games, work, music etc. and i dont want to start all over again

Thanks for the link, I followed method one and when reaching the page after pressing f8 it presents me with a page saying select boot device, there are 3 to select from:

sm-hl-st dvdram gsa 4120b
pm-st360023as
iba fe slot 0640 v4110

The first one doesnt do anything any just goes on to the corrupt error message
The second one goes to a black screen and sits there loading for a while then goes to the corrupt error message
And lastly the third one goes into somecalled called the boot agent and waits for me to type something i think.

Am i missing something :\

Yep... did that but now what? It just goes to the corrupt file message :(

-----------------------------------------

This was posted on another forum and a user replied with:

Run the windows XP install CD and choose 'repair' instead of reinstall. It will copy the base windows files over the old ones, leaving all your stuff there.

----------------------------------------

Is it true and would it work?

XP Repair install

Please read carefully and make sure you followed the warning links before initiating the Repair Install. You can print a text version for reference. repair.txt

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom