I am new to building

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoinTimeSublime

Baseband Member
What does everyone think of these parts?

Asus A8N-SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID / SLI ($106.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131524

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 512KB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / Venice Core / Processor with Fan ($185.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory ($93.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148007

XFX PV-T73G-UDF3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card ($173.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150145

MSI TurboStream 450W ATX12V 450W Power Supply 90V ~ 132Vac or 180V~264Vac UL, TUV, CB, CSA ($39.99)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817701001

I still need a suggestiong on a rather cool case but also one that isn't too expensive... Remember this is my first time building so i kinda need to kno for sure if these parts will work with eachother but i am confident that they will. Any suggestions for noobs building a new PC? thanks

Thats a pretty good PC. Close to the same specs as mine except my CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 4400+. I had the 3800 and chose to upgrade to the X2 4400, it works better for me but thats a matter of taste. That would be a great computer. :cool:

Overall, that looks like a mighty good build.

IMO, there is a couple things that could do with some changing.

If you can afford it, go with the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, instead of the plain version. It is $56 more expensive. The reasoning behing this recommendation is that the regular version comes with a very poor quality chipset fan that is notorious for dying. The Premium comes with passive cooling which does a better job at cooling, and doesnt randomly die:D

If you aren't overclocking, then there isn't any point in getting anything more than ValueRAM. In my system I am using Mushkin Green Series RAM. It's inexpensive too ($86.99)

Also, I don't know how good MSI PSUs are. Someone else might be able to vouche for them. However, I don't have any experience with them or have heard much about them. So, I'll recommend this one

EDIT: I deleted your other post with the same content in another section of the forum. Don't double-post.

I would reccomend the ASUS A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe. Gives you true x16 x16 SLI if you think you might want this(instead of x8 x8) and also has the wifi option.

I had an MSI PSU, and the only complaint I had with it was the the +5v was auctually 4.8v at best. Not a stable PSU for overclocking, but I'm still using it now in my internet PC.

blenderbeta said:
I would reccomend the ASUS A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe. Gives you true x16 x16 SLI if you think you might want this(instead of x8 x8) and also has the wifi option.

I had an MSI PSU, and the only complaint I had with it was the the +5v was auctually 4.8v at best. Not a stable PSU for overclocking, but I'm still using it now in my internet PC.

The A8N32 is a good motherboard, but I would never get it just for it's 2X 16x PCI-E slots. Video cards don't require the bandwidth that is supplied by this mobo as compared to regular SLI mobos. I would go with this mobo if you are looking at overclocking, and for some reason dont want to go with DFI:confused:

I was thinking about the wifi option built in, and it has a super quiet cooling system. the 2x x16 is just icing on the cake. As for the DFI, stability is very important for me and I find the A8N32 to be more stable. Allthough I was able to get a higher clock on my DFI. But the A8N32 IS a contender for overclocking. I'll start a new topic on MB's for myself. But for just the dual X16 SLI, I wouldn't justify paying the extra money over the A8N-SLI Premium. Your right Elbatrop1.

One question i have though is will it play the new ghost recond very well... my inspiration for this was playin on my cousins $2700 alien ware rig and it was amazing to play that game with the graphic he had... so i wanna get something remotely that nice that i can easy build for under $600.

Since the quality of graphics that you can play a game at mostly depends on what kind of vid card you have, you should be able play any game out right now at higher settings with good fps. The 7600GT is a really good card.

Alienware is overpriced. Although a $2700 AW computer is probably going to have a higher end card than the 7600GT, not to mention more than one in SLI :D

@Blenderbeta: I didnt mean to pick you apart. I just didnt want anyone to go under the impression that the A8N32's only good feature is the 2X 16X, because to me that is not a selling feature at all. However, it's passive chipset cooling, it's overclockability, it's brandname, and it's stability are all good features in my books :D

I took no offence, you have a good point. :) It was my fault for not saying it more clearly.
But thanks for saying. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom