Vista and Torrent files help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Who?

Solid State Member
Hi,

I just downloaded a "torrent" file from a site I found off of google.

It is suspost to be a torrent file.

What the heck is a torrent file, and how do I make use of it?

a torrent is similar to using any other p2p sharing program. The only difference is you have to download the client software. Such as Bittorrent or Utorrent. Once you download and install the software torrent files will then be associated with that program and open within it.

It's kind of like a shortcut to a download, you need to download a bit torrent client, such as azeurus(sp) bit spirit etc..etc... and then open that torrent file in that program. That's what a torrent is, but if you're using it to downlaod vista i suggest you either not talk about illegal stuff on this forum or subscribe to MSDN.

Torrent Setup

Okay first you need a application such as Azureus or BitComet. Install those. They will download the torrents you find.

*Edited to remove engines.*

These are torrent search engines. From there search for whatever it is you are looking for. After you find the torrent you wish to download
Click on the download torrent link.

It will ask you where to save it. Create a Directory called Torrents. Save it there.
Start up Azureus or BitComet.

First go to option (or Tools, Options) and make sure you default download directory is set to the new directory you just created for the downloaded torrents.
After that click Open Add Torrent (or something similar)
Click on the torrent you downloaded and make sure to save it to the same directory you created for your torrents.

Click Okay and the torrent shall connect.

Exceptions:
There are a few exceptions to Torrent downloading.
1. # of seeds. If the file you are trying to download has few to no seeds you will not get the download. You need at least 1 seed to get the complete file.
2. # of peers. If there is a high number of peers it will help you out. You will get pieces of data from each of them.
But then again if you only have peers and no seeds you will never get the whole file.
3. Tracker Connection Error. Sometimes there are trackers that you have to be signed up an a forum or site to allow you to connect to them.
If that is the case the tracker error should give you the site to go to and sign up with. Just sign up and the tracker should become active.

These are all i can think of off hand. Torrent downloading can be illegal as well as and kind of downlaoding. If someone has a file hosted on a http download that can be as illegal as torrents. Torrents are also used for legal file transfers such as Linux adn game updates.

HOLY **** this is illegal!? :eek: great now I feel like a dumbie. Sorry about that. I'm done with this.

So you thought it was legal, and your thread title isn't helping no harm done though, but this should be closed before links are given.

reported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom