1GB Ram to 2GB Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

IfYouHaveToAsk

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I currently have 1gb ram in the form of 2x512mb sticks and i was wondering how much of a gain i would get from adding a further 2x512mb sticks to get a total of 2gb ram.

I figured using the task manager that ideally you should have more physical memory than the "peak commit charge" which after a BF2 or CoD2 session often goes up to 1.4gb or so getting 2gb makes sense for me doesnt it?

So basically would you advise it or not, since its a relatively cheap upgrade. Also should i order the same sticks as the previous 2? i guess that would make sense.

I actually wondered the same myself. Lately, everyone has been recommending 2GB for builds instead of 1GB. So, it got me curious to see how much a difference in performance there would be with 2GB vs 1GB.

Well, overall the extra GB didn't really make a huge difference. During games, there was practically no difference whatsoever. I have read benchmarks which support this as well.

Where I did notice a difference (a very small one) was when I go to open or close programs. There is a little more responsiveness.

However, would I consider this to be a justified purchase? Not really.

If I were to turn back time and had my choice of upgrades, I probably would have gotten another hard drive or something :D

FEAR and BF2 both use 1.25gb's of ram when given 1.5gb's.

I like this picture though:

Whosaysyoudontneed4gbofram.jpg

I did that when importing a 30s video into photoshop as individual frames, and god was my PC unresponsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom