comilation of RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
14 is stock. i set the multi to 13.5, will it not run if it is too low? dont quite understand that, but ill go with it. so do i set the fsb to 220 or something to re-achieve 2.8ghz?..... but that defeats the purpose... what do you mean by lower the multi, the multi on the CPU or the ram?

leave it 14. dont touch the multiplier. get the G.skill 2x1GB PC 4000 extreme ram, that will allow you to OC ur CPU 700MHZ! without having to touch ur ram. THEN if you will ever need to, cause im sure its gonna get too hot, you can OC the ram or set a memory divider, but its better to OC the ram and see if its stable.

I mean, to test the limits of your ram, take the CPU out of the equation by having it run slower than what it is meant to. That way you know when you run into a wall that it is the RAM limiting you. So lower the CPU multilier, and increase the FSB until it won't go higher without being unstabe. When that happens, post back with the FSB it stopped at, and then we'll take it further from there.

but my computer wont start with a low CPU multiplier. even with 13.5, it still will not boot up and i have to clear CMOS to get it running again. also, what do i set the dram/fsb ratio to? 1/1?

edit: okay never mind about the CPU mutliplier. it worked. what do i put the dram frequency at though? theres all these numbers, 100=01/02, 120=03/05... i want 01/01 right?

edit2: okay i tried it with 03/05 @ 200fsb and it wont start up...

edit3: started up w/ 01/02 @ 201fsb (added an extra fsb for the **** of it). cpu multi @ 14.0 (forgot to change it... the CPU wont be the problem @ 201fsb). running memtest86.

edit4: passed w/ 01/02 @ 210fsb, jumped it to 215 and it failed. trying it @ 213.

edit5: failed w/ 01/02 @ 213fsb, try it @ 211.

okay, it crapped out w/ 01/02 @ 211fsb and worked @ 210. so thats roughly 105mhz. i can DEFINATLY see where better ram is going to benfit me. what should i look for when getting ram? i dont want to spend more than 215$ because really even 215$ is rediculously expensive for ram. someone put in thier 2 cents. thanks :) :D

edit: hmm okay i just tried something and it didnt work. i put the CPU multi on 14.5 and the dram frequency on 01/02 and the fsb on 205 so i can overclock my CPU without touching the rams maximum frequency. this should've put the CPU at 2972MHz and then ram at 102/3. i know the cpu is capable of 2.97ghz and, as i just tested, the ram is capable of 203 mhz. why did it not work?

bump

edit:
leave it 14. dont touch the multiplier. get the G.skill 2x1GB PC 4000 extreme ram, that will allow you to OC ur CPU 700MHZ! without having to touch ur ram. THEN if you will ever need to, cause im sure its gonna get too hot, you can OC the ram or set a memory divider, but its better to OC the ram and see if its stable.
...but my computer uses pc3200. does it matter what pc-**** i get?

.... no. but i thought that if the RAM was @ or > 105mhz, it should be fine. plus im apprehensive to do that since i have no way of monitering the temperature (mbm5 doesnt show it).

but another more major problem is that every time i change my CPU's multiplier up, the computer wont POST. the CPU's multiplier has nothing to do with the RAM right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom