comilation of RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazer_viking

In Runtime
i'm thinking of upgrading ram, since as you can see it is in dire need of replacment (see sig). now, i really wanted to go with 4gb but something about this dual channel stuff confuses me. maybe this thread needs to start by explaining what dual channel is.... :mad: :) :D and is the cap of i ram i can get on a 64x system 4gb or 8gb or is it not 64x that increases the RAM cap and im thinking of 2x core?

oh it will? hmm, well i still need higher quality RAM. i was thinking of gettin mushkin next to top of the line brand. how much better will i be able to overclock w/ that ram? is it worth it?

Mushkin Redline should be great for 2x1gb overclocking, but it is very expensive.

i havnt overclocked with what i have because everytime i try it messes up. this is what i just now did. i set my bios to run memtest98, put my CPU multiplier on 13.5, set FSB to 200mhz, and set ram/fsb ratio to 1/1. and i was going to raise the fsb to see where my current memory craps out @. but now my computer wont start and i have to reset CMOS. its really annoying.. what do i have to do to test/overclock my memory to see where the bottleneck is at, my ram or CPU to see if new ram will benfit me?

also if i do get new ram, how do i know if it will fit? i always though that PC-3200 was the RAM's size, but is it not?

Set the multi down, and increase FSB slowly to check RAM limit. So you basically want the CPU to run way slower than it should, so you don't have to worry about it being the thing holding you back. Methinks you should do more research before overclocking.

....... i am researching? thats why im here. thanks anyway though. why did it shut down? 200fsb is the lowest it will go, and 1/1 is most effiecent setting, right?

so whats the deal with pc3200? is it a size? or just a quality speed rating? are DDR and DDR2 sizes like im thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom